Crankcase gasket replacement procedure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crankcase gasket replacement procedure

Erwin

Reaction score
City, State
Yauco, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
I have a little oil likage from the crankcase pan (the one that has the oil drain bolt). I called my dealer to get the original gasket (99 Explorer 4.0L SOHC) but apparently it's an special order.

The funny thing is that they asked me which one, the front or the rear one? I'm sure is the front one because of the oil drain location but, is there something else that I need to be aware before I remove this pan?

Any special procedure before and after removal of the crankcase pan? Can I just use "red gasket silicone" or do I really need the original gasket?

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to tell you this, but if you are wanting to replace the oil pan gasket you will have to pull the engine. :eek: There is not enough room to drop the pan out (unless they build them different down there) with the engine in the vehicle.

I have to double check

Thanks for the warning. I have to check again but I believe there's no obstruction to the oil pan in this model (like part of the chasis, etc.). Anyway, I'll check and post back again.

Thanks

SOHC has a different 2 piece pan...

Ive only seen one, but I think the SOHC has a two piece pan that the lower half is removable. I would use the factory gasket, Im guessing it fits into a machined goove inthe acast aluminum pan.

Good Luck.

On the SOHC, there's an oil pan on the bottom that I believe you can easily remove.
Above the oil pan however, is what they call a ladder I think, which is attached to the block--basically, a functionless extension of the block. If you want to remove the ladder, the engine has to be out.
Naturally, the oil pump is above the ladder.
Get a Haines or Chiltons manual for more help.

Back