running hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

running hot

crazymind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 mountaieer 4.0
hey guys i just need a second opion on this one, and y i might be running hot on just the highwas.

my theroy is i have a walbro 255 in tank pump, a mugen fuel pressure regulater at anout 64 psi. when i just on the highway i give it some gas and it shifts around 3500 but when i get on and level out my speed i see my temp gauge clime pretty higher than were it would normly runs. my thery is since i have a bigger pump with out a tune that i am still running too rich. I thought it was the cats being plugged so i replaced them with magnaflow high flows. it helped a little but it still runs pretty warm. but the thing that gets me is that when im in town stopping and going it does get as hot as it does when im on the highway. o yeah i also have an e-fan from the torus. tell me what you guys think bout my problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are running rich, you'll actually run a bit cooler, but the exhaust will run hotter. Besides the computer will read the o2 sensors and compensate for the excess fuel by cutting back on the injector pulse time.

Sounds more like the radiator is partially clogged. Mine would be fine running around town, but get on the highway and it'd start running hot.

O I see. Could it be on the inside? The fine look alright not too many are bent or damaged. She has a resent flush done bout two thousand miles ago with a new thermostat that open at 180.

Put a 195 thermostat back in. The truck will not even go into closed loop until the coolant reaches that temperature.Also, the coolant will stay in the radiator longer, cooling it better.

Old school hot rodding tricks are not going to fool your truck into running faster. You need to get it tuned.

For the money you have already spent on goodies, you would be experiencing better performance if you'd bought an xcal device and tunes from the beginning.

I put the 180 in in hopes that it would help my problem not gain gain anything more. I trying to save for one but I went back to school so money a bit tight. I know over heating damages an engine but mine is just running a little hotter than normal, would that affect the life of my 4.0?

Bump

Back