Rust hole in gas tank, safe? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust hole in gas tank, safe?

^ I don't think that one person being overcharged justifies the next person being overcharged. Instead it would be a reason to never go back to that shop.

It might be different if we were talking about an exotic sports car and there's only one guy within 100 miles that knows his stuff, but dropping a gas tank falls within the capability of any mechanic at any shop (with a lift and jack if they're high strung). I could only see $300 if they had to cut the straps and supply new hardware. Maybe they did... too little info.

Regardless they should have stated up front what the diagnostic charge would be and upon hearing $300 I would have chuckled and left unless the vehicle was under warranty still and then it would depend on what the suspected problem was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think that a dealership with a lift could drop a fuel tank in a lot less than 3 hours. Heck, I can change one in my driveway using a floor jack in about an hour, but then they probably use their flat-rate book to decide how many hours they can charge you for. Chrysler once charged me for 8 hours labor to change a transmission and they called me about 2 hours after I dropped it off to tell me the car was ready. they still charged me for 8 hours labor, but at least the transmission was free. I hate the "stealerships"!

They had 4 guys workin' on it. ;)

My daughter brings her Nissan Rogue to the Nissan dealer where the standard diagnosis is $505 regardless of whether or not you get the work done.

That's what she deserves because she bought a Nissan SUV :)

That's what she deserves because she bought a Nissan SUV :)
Agreed 100% This is a strong case of someone learning a more valuable lesson from her failures than her successes. Fought unsuccessfully against her buying it. But hey, I'm just some old guy ;)

Bill

I purchased new (mostly American) cars since I was 18 until I retired, typically every 3 years or so. I can honestly say I've almost always been unhappy with dealerships. I've been lied to, overcharged, ripped off and under appreciated too many times to count. I'm done with dealerships. I wouldn't buy a new (or used) car from a dealership, even if I won the Mega Bucks Lottery. Yes I'm a grumpy old man and I've earned it.

I purchased new (mostly American) cars since I was 18 until I retired, typically every 3 years or so. I can honestly say I've almost always been unhappy with dealerships. I've been lied to, overcharged, ripped off and under appreciated too many times to count. I'm done with dealerships. I wouldn't buy a new (or used) car from a dealership, even if I won the Mega Bucks Lottery. Yes I'm a grumpy old man and I've earned it.

These are my experiences ass well. As long as its under warranty they're fine after that you had better bend over...

These are my experiences ass well. As long as its under warranty they're fine after that you had better bend over...

They've even tried to screw me over on warranty work.

I have to say that this has not been my experience at either the Ford or Toyota dealers near me (Kennesaw, GA). Yes - the dealers are more expensive than the local mechanic I use for stuff I can't/don't want to do myself. However, when I have had work done at either place, it has been fairly and competently done. In addition, I have found both of their parts departments to be helpful and knowledgeable. I still do most work myself, but I would have no problem having work done at either of these places.

Last and final time I went to a dealership was for my X, having the infamous broken wire in door hinge problem years ago, but I didn't know it yet.

First they wanted several hundred dollars to replace the ECU and were ready to have me come in and sign a work order, at which point I told them I wanted the old part(s) back.

When I arrived at the shop they then said it was the door windows switch module instead. Fortunately that was only about $60 plus labor at the time. Took it home, got out a multimeter and found nothing wrong with the old switch so I replaced the new with the old in about 15 minutes.

Suspecting it had been a wire problem all along I pulled back the wire boot in the door hinge and saw the wire they soldered back together. It was just taped for insulation and they left the solder joint in the hinge area where it's going to break again someday instead of new wire and sliding the solder joints out of there.

They had no problem doing crap work, lying twice, and charging for a part I didn't need. At least I got a parts refund.

I have to say that this has not been my experience at either the Ford or Toyota dealers near me (Kennesaw, GA). Yes - the dealers are more expensive than the local mechanic I use for stuff I can't/don't want to do myself. However, when I have had work done at either place, it has been fairly and competently done. In addition, I have found both of their parts departments to be helpful and knowledgeable. I still do most work myself, but I would have no problem having work done at either of these places.

You're lucky (or I'm unlucky) when it comes to dealerships. A short list of my bad experiences...

1. Had a Chevy dealership deeply scratch the side of the hood my brand new Corvette while it was in for warranty work and then denied having done it. (I'd bought 3 new cars from them that year). They made me feel like I was lying.

2. Got my wife's Chrysler minivan back, after warranty was work done, running on 5 cylinders. Turns out the center rear spark plug cable had been pulled off the spark plug (they weren't working anywhere near that area). Also was returned with no dash or tail lights (broken wire under hood).

3. I had a GM dealership do everything in their power to not replace a stress cracked windshield on a two week old Oldsmobile Delta 88. They had 3 different service reps feeling the glass looking for a stone chip (crack was on the inside piece of glass). Windshield was replaced, begrudgingly, when they couldn't find a chip.

4. Had Honda dealership deny warranty repair of a frozen bushing on the rear suspension on a 9 month old Civic SI. Then same dealership screwed up doing an oil change on my wife's 3 month old Honda 4WD station wagon. Didn't drain old oil, overfilled engine with new oil and left the new oil filter loose.

5. Had a GM dealer break off the 4WD actuator on my 1 year old Blazer while working in that area and denied breaking it. Finally replaced it, but made it clear that they thought I'd broken it somehow.

I could go on...

I must say, although I've never bought a car from them, my local Ford dealer's service department has treated me very well and been extremely helpful. Their parts department is full of lazy a-holes though.

Back