Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8

Bumper looks like it is coming out nice Scott! Seeing the hi lift mount I thought I would add this - You can add modular acccessories to the bumper if you want since you used 2x2 square. Both my hi lift and gas can carrier are modular. See this post.

Maybe I missed it but why not integrate the hitch? Get rid of the one hanging down low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian,

I had seen your modular gas can mount - I didn't realize the Hi-Lift was modular also. I may do a modular gas can mount - I haven't decided yet (I think I want to be able to carry 2 cans.) The Hi-Lift mount is permanent because I didn't think about making it modular - but, really, for my use I don't see a need to ever not have it.

The hitch could be integrated into the bumper, but it was originally welded to the frame, and makes a solid rear crossmember. We reinforced the original welds, added a frame plate/gusset, and used the new plate and hitch as a bumper mount. I realize it is low-hanging, and I have dragged it while off-road, but it has never really hindered my progress. If it becomes an issue, I will move it, but for now, I decided to leave it.

I realize it is low-hanging, and I have dragged it while off-road, but it has never really hindered my progress.

..:shifty_ey ...I predict a Kodak moment in your future...:D

I was able to do some work on the bumper today. I got the remainder of the holes drilled and tapped, and started wire brushing the bumper in preparation for paint. I should wire brush more tomorrow.

I also found a light for the license plate. It is low profile, which I care about, and LED, which I do not care about.

Attachments

• lp light.JPG
    lp light.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 858

...:scratch:...Are you dropping this off to get painted somewhere?

..I thought you had a plane to catch and should be packing? I'm pretty sure you can't fit that bumper in your carry on...:p:

...:scratch:...Are you dropping this off to get painted somewhere?

..I thought you had a plane to catch and should be packing? I'm pretty sure you can't fit that bumper in your carry on...:p:

I'm going to paint it myself. No PC at this time - I will be making an addition to the bumper, and want to be able to repaint it.

I'll pack tomorrow - that would be funny trying to bring the bumper past TSA!

Bumper Update

I've done some more work on the bumper.

I wire brushed the entire bumper, built an impromptu paint booth in my basement, a shot a coat of primer.

Attachments

• Prepped 1.JPG
    Prepped 1.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 853
  • Prepped 2.JPG
    Prepped 2.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 823
  • Paint Booth.JPG
    Paint Booth.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 857
  • Ready for Primer.JPG
    Ready for Primer.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 824

Painted!!!!!

This week, I sprayed 2 coats of primer to the bumper, and today, I sprayed 3 coats of paint! Finally!

Now, to let it dry for a couple of days, then I can install it.

Then, it's on to the swingout...

Attachments

• Primered.JPG
    Primered.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 797
  • Painted.JPG
    Painted.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 836

The Bumper is on!

I mounted the bumper today! It's solid and looks good.

I still need to wire in the license plate light.

Yesterday, we modified the Hi-Lift mounts on the swingout - now to grind and wirebrush it. Then, down to the paint booth. Hope to work on it this week.

Attachments

• bumper2.JPG
    bumper2.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 805
  • bumper1.JPG
    bumper1.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 799

Looks good, you want to build me one:thumbsup:

Went up to the mountains yesterday for the 3rd annual Country Fried Weekend - as you can see, I found plenty of the snow's aftermath! Spent a good part of today cleaning up...:(

There are some action shots and at least on video (of the bow wave) - I will post a link when they get uploaded to YouTube.

Attachments

• truck1.JPG
    truck1.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 784
  • truck2.JPG
    truck2.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 778

It's Painted!

Last weekend had absolutely beautiful weather - so, I took advantage of it and finished prepping the swingout for paint.

Tonight, with the lousy weather outside, I painting the swingout in my basement "paint booth". I laid down 3 coats of paint over a coat of red oxide primer. Still wet, but it looks really good.

I should be able to get it installed on Saturday!

Attachments

• Swingout 1.JPG
    Swingout 1.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 774
  • Swingout 2.JPG
    Swingout 2.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 732
  • Swingout 3.JPG
    Swingout 3.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 737

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back