Seafoam Dilemma | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam Dilemma

What sort of driving are you doing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's your truck so do whatever you think is best for it, but with that sort of driving I would def change it every 3k (not using synthetic). Just out of curiosity how often do you change the tranny fluid?

It's your truck so do whatever you think is best for it, but with that sort of driving I would def change it every 3k (not using synthetic). Just out of curiosity how often do you change the tranny fluid?

Why would I ( or any prudent person ) throw away perfectly good ( as provd by UOA ) ATF?

ATF flushed somewhere arount 50k miles. FYI, it is bright red too.

it is all about preference...
a select few would change transmission fluid at 50 thouand miles
while most would change it yearly or at least every 2 years..
it is just a small investment for your large investment...
I personally change all fluids except oil of course one a year.
and also change my oil every 4000 miles and yes I use Mobil one high mileage synthetic oil..
small investment for your wheels..

i neva knew it was bright red!!! WOW..

it is all about preference...
a select few would change transmission fluid at 50 thouand miles
while most would change it yearly or at least every 2 years..

Actually most ( non enthusiasts ) never flush their ATF.

i neva knew it was bright red!!! WOW..

Most used ATF after 50k miles is not bright red.

That makes me question your analysis, while the physical make up of the oil may be okay it certainly has lost it's lubricative properties. The manual recommends 50k for the transmission change interval, talk to any reputable tranny shop and they'll tell you do it every 20-30k and your tranny will last much longer.

That makes me question your analysis, while the physical make up of the oil may be okay it certainly has lost it's lubricative properties.

Do tell; pleasxe explain that statement.

The manual recommends 50k for the transmission change interval, talk to any reputable tranny shop and they'll tell you do it every 20-30k and your tranny will last much longer.

Thats a no brainer - they sell ATF and labor.

Arn't you the same guy that wants to open a repair business with no insurance?

Now wait a second, this is a different ball game. Cars (or more so, engines) that are built and designed to run on synthetic only are different engines altogehter.

It's the same like saying a turbo car requires premium gasoline, so your naturally aspired engine would benefit just the same. As we all know, not true at all. Turbocharged engines are designed to run only on premium or better, and it would not surprise me in the least if synthetic-only based engines were built slightly differently as well.

Afterall, these engines ship from the factory with synthetic, yes ? Then tell me why if you buy a brand new car that uses dino oil (a Cobalt, a Fusion, a Focus, whatever), they say do NOT use synthetic oil until minimum 20,000km, otherwise the piston rings will not seat properly because synthetic oil has too many lubricating properties ? If a Corvette engine can run synthetic from the factory, then one can assume that the internals are different and can accomodate running synthetic from day 1.

I'm not debating that synthetic is a bad oil, I've read a book worth of information about the benefits of synthetic oil. Synthetic oil, on paper, is a much better fluid than regular dino oil. However, in practical application, I've personally seen with my own two eyes many engines cave in soon after switching to synthetic.

Again, let me restate, I'm not saying synthetic is a bad oil, I'm saying that in first hand use, I have witnessed bad results numerous times.

Oh, and just an update, 2 weeks since the oil flush on my father-in-law's Dakota, and it's burned about 1.5 liters of the synthetic oil. It's been re-filled to full and we'll see what happens by the weekend.

Many of the newer Fords recommend using Motorcraft 5W-20 which is a synthetic blend motoroil. Which is what they come with stock. Pick up a bottle of Motorcraft 5w-20 and I'm pretty sure it will say "Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil". Here is a link to the Motorcraft website for their oil.http://motorcraft.com/products.do?item=15
I've been using synthetic on both vehicles I have owned. First my Isuzu, which did not blow up at all, but did have a gm motor, trans and diff. The trans and diff did blow up though, non-oil related. Having been a member of an Isuzu forum, I can tell you first hand that any ticking noise from an Isuzu motor, could more than likely have been cured by using 0w-30 or 0w-20 oil as per manufacturer instructions. That was a design flaw where in oil passages were not big enough to provide proper lubrication, therefore using the thinner sythetic oils, enough oil could get to where it needed to be, quieting down any ticking noise. On my Explorer, its been using synthetic since about 20,000 miles as far as my service records show, and the motor runs great, with almost no noise to it with almost 100,000 miles on it. My dad's 97 F-150 with the 4.6 had synthetic since about 5,000 miles and never made a sound until the day he traded it in with over 80,000 miles. The best thing you can do for your motor, is to use the proper weight oil, whether it be dino or synthetic. Use the wrong weight and the oil could be too thin, not providing the proper film shear strength, or be too thick and not get to where it needs to be. As for flow, try pouring a bottle of 80w-90 dino gear oil, then do the same with the same weight synthetic, I bet the synthetic flows better. Which would you rather have in your diff? I know what my anwer would be.

Dan

Dan, do you underdtand what multiviscosity oil is?

By the way I run 0w30 synthetic, have 130k miles, and no troubles whatsoever.

The guy is a personal friend of mine, he wouldn't be telling me to change it at 30k if it was a waste of money as I do all the work on my cars anyway.

All I know is, I have yet to see a single instance where an engine with synthetic oil has not failed within 1 year of the dino->synthetic switch.

You're not looking hard enough. I've used synthetic for eons and have never once had a problem, not even close. My current ride ('99 Eddie Bauer) has Amsoil synthetic everywhere possible. So did my previous ride ('00 Sport). Before Amsoil I used Mobil 1. Never an issue. Synthetic is the sh*t. You're getting bad advice. VERY bad advice. You're also giving it too. :thumbdwn:

All I know is, I have yet to see a single instance where an engine with synthetic oil has not failed within 1 year of the dino->synthetic switch.

You must be wearing blinders.

How many of these failures have you witnessed?

You're not looking hard enough. I've used synthetic for eons and have never once had a problem, not even close. My current ride ('99 Eddie Bauer) has Amsoil synthetic everywhere possible. So did my previous ride ('00 Sport). Before Amsoil I used Mobil 1. Never an issue. Synthetic is the sh*t. You're getting bad advice. VERY bad advice. You're also giving it too. :thumbdwn:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree that certain engines are made with much closer tolerances than others and especially in smaller engines that rev higher synthetic helps a lot. When you get to a 4L or bigger engine though you can't rev nearly as high (my ex ohv hasn't seen more than 3000) and the tolerances usually looser because of that reason. Therefore synthetic doesn't benefit you as much. Personally, I don't use synthetic in my trucks unless I'm towing.

Why do you say I'm gving bad advise ? Apart from what you've read, or heard, how do you actually know synthetic is better ? And you've used it in 2 rides, congrats, both happen to be Explorers. Some people put 15w40 in their engines for years and years, and never have a problem, would you recommend using that based on that opinion ? I don't think you have any right to say my advise is good or bad, I'm simply stating my personal experience, as you have as well. Did I say that YOU'RE handing out bad advise, nope. Do me a favor and respect my opinion as I do yours :thumbsup:

My problem is there a too many inconsistancies. Like I said, the Corvette can ship from factory with synthetic oil, yet a Cobalt doesn't, and can't use synthetic for 20,000km+ or the rings don't seat properly. Why the difference ? There's lots of inconsistancies like this, so one would wonder what the ENTIRE story is. To be quite honest, I don't think anyone really knows. Personally, I won't be the test subject. I'll use the 5w30 dino oil that my owners manual recommends.

You must be wearing blinders.

How many of these failures have you witnessed?

Personal cars, 4. Parents vehicles, 2. In-laws vehicles, 2. The ONLY engines that I have seen not fail, my own or parents, are ones that we've left dino-oil in.

you are an island unto yourself because your the only one I've ever heard say anything bad about synthetic oil besides cost. My brother in law has never said anything bad at all about synthetic and he's a senior master technician for Ford dealers so I would imagine he sees quite a few more vehicles and how they're dealing with fluids and whatnot.

you are an island unto yourself because your the only one I've ever heard say anything bad about synthetic oil besides cost. My brother in law has never said anything bad at all about synthetic and he's a senior master technician for Ford dealers so I would imagine he sees quite a few more vehicles and how they're dealing with fluids and whatnot.

Fair enough, I don't mind being on the island by myself :D And again, I'm not saying that synthetic is a bad product, I'm saying in the application of vehicles, particularly used vehicles, I've experienced nothing but bad things.

i CAN SAY ONE THING BAD ABOUT IT... IT IS FAR TOO EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO OTHER OIL. LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

expensive synth is less expensive than rebuilding/replacing your motor.
i believe the saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
i suppose it doesn't matter if you're leasing or aren't looking to keep the vehicle into high mileage territory. the however seems to get the good juice in there early (after break-in or whenever the warranty provides).

i have had a bad experienc with Synth in a 1965 Ford F100 with a 400M.
the reality is that it wasn't the Synth that was the problem, but rather the seals on the vehicle, particularly the rear main seal.

after switching to Synth, I believe the additives/detergents cleaned a lot of the gunk out of the system, and it exposed a lot of weak spots.

ended up with rear main seal problems/replacement, oil pump problems/replacement and even had to regrind the crank and rebuild the top end.

i supppose that none of this would have happened if i kept her full of $1.20/Qt. dino.

then again, she was a high mileage work horse and due for a rebuild regardless.

Back