Seafoam Dilemma | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam Dilemma

let's learn how to spell advice, it's not advise which is the verb form

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My apologies, a typo on my part. Nothing else to say other than correct my spelling ? :rolleyes:

Why do you say I'm gving bad advise ? Apart from what you've read, or heard, how do you actually know synthetic is better ? And you've used it in 2 rides, congrats, both happen to be Explorers.

Actually, I've only used Amsoil is the last two Explorers. In the '00 Sport (which I traded in on the Eddie), I used Mobil 1 before Amsoil. My last "non-Explorer" (Ford Contour SVT) used Mobil1 and no issues. My Isuzu Impulse Turbo, same thing. My First Explorer ('93) used Mobil1. The guy I sold it to at 15,000 km (I was living out of the country and it was in storage so I sold it) used Mobil1 on my advice. He didn't do any other real maintenance. The thing was falling apart EXCEPT the engine. He had it checked after owing it for many years (and before trading it in on an ack, minivan) and the engine was in superb shape. The guy who did the inspection chalked that up to using synthetic.

You're the first person I've ever seen that chalks up numerous engine failures to using synthetic and you're saying "you HEARD it causes failures". I just don't buy it. :thumbdwn:

You're the first person I've ever seen that chalks up numerous engine failures to using synthetic and you're saying "you HEARD it causes failures". I just don't buy it. :thumbdwn:

Ok, let's see here. I am chalking up engine failures to synthetic switching, yes. Well, when you own a vehicle for x amount of months (or years), and it runs perfectly fine, doesn't burn, leak or consume a drop of oil, then you switch to synthetic and shortly after have a complete failure out of the blue, you begin to wonder. And when it happens more than once, even more than twice, then you wonder even more. And when the technicians at the Ford dealership recommend dino-oil because they've seen issues with people using synthetic, you'd wonder even more.

I haven't "HEARD" of anything, I've seen it first hand ! What I "HEARD" was what the Ford technicians said, because they didn't write it down, they verbally said it to me, hence the term, "I heard it".

And fair enough if you don't buy it, you don't have to, I was simply stating what my opinion on the issue is. That's the whole point of a forum, many people documenting their own personal experience. My experience has been bad, many people's has been good. There's always 2 sides to the coin, my apologies if you have a problem with that.

And fair enough if you don't buy it, you don't have to, I was simply stating what my opinion on the issue is. That's the whole point of a forum, many people documenting their own personal experience. My experience has been bad, many people's has been good. There's always 2 sides to the coin, my apologies if you have a problem with that.

We agree to disagree. Looks like I'm not the only one that disagrees with your assessment so let's leave it there. :rolleyes:

We agree to disagree. Looks like I'm not the only one that disagrees with your assessment so let's leave it there. :rolleyes:

Dude, assessment ? I stated the facts of what has happened in my personal experience. It's not an assessment. You seem to the be the only one trying to start an argument with me, so how about let's leave it at that ? :rolleyes:

guys,
respectfully, your debate/conversation is getting needlessly close to the edge. call it a day, or email eachother privately.
this is a great forum for sharing and even debating opinions, but i think this horse is already dead.
please take this in the spirit in which it was intended.

philo

Dude, assessment ? I stated the facts of what has happened in my personal experience. It's not an assessment. You seem to the be the only one trying to start an argument with me, so how about let's leave it at that ? :rolleyes:

You're mincing words now. I'm definitely not the only one in this thread to disagree with you. As before, we agree to disagree. Leave it there. :confused:

guys,
respectfully, your debate/conversation is getting needlessly close to the edge. call it a day, or email eachother privately.
this is a great forum for sharing and even debating opinions, but i think this horse is already dead.
please take this in the spirit in which it was intended.

philo

Gotta love the peanut gallery. Thanks for your concern. :salute:

lol, true enough, I don't mind you having a different opinion, I just want to make it clear that it's just that, my own opinion, and it's not some made up junk, there's been a couple things that have lead me to my opinion.

That said, how does you 5.0 like starting in the winter with synthetic ? Per say, if it's not plugged in.

I support what Celly is saying completely; he is not one to start an arguement.

Ok, let's see here. I am chalking up engine failures to synthetic switching, yes. Well, when you own a vehicle for x amount of months (or years), and it runs perfectly fine, doesn't burn, leak or consume a drop of oil, then you switch to synthetic and shortly after have a complete failure out of the blue, you begin to wonder. And when it happens more than once, even more than twice, then you wonder even more. And when the technicians at the Ford dealership recommend dino-oil because they've seen issues with people using synthetic, you'd wonder even more.

i've experienced engine failure in this situation.
ford truck, f100, 400m; real beast of a truck.
i think switching to the synth exposed weakness in the seals, that had been crudded or sludged up over time, keeping tight.
switching over to synth, with the extra detergents/additives, likely cleaned the slop out the mill. in no time at all i had rear main seal leaks, valve train problems, oil pump/oil pressure problems. blew the heater core and the headgaskets (i can't claim that was oil related, but i'm sure it was a systemic issue).

rebuilt the motor. filled it with synth. no probs.
motor needed a rebuild anyway.

lol, true enough, I don't mind you having a different opinion, I just want to make it clear that it's just that, my own opinion, and it's not some made up junk, there's been a couple things that have lead me to my opinion.

That said, how does you 5.0 like starting in the winter with synthetic ? Per say, if it's not plugged in.

Starts like a charm. Wouldn't have if I didn't warranty replace a faulty Optima Red Top that was giving me grief about a month or so ago. I use Amsoil 0w/30 (great stuff). I have been plugging in occasionally, but not always. Haven't had any issues in getting it started with or without plug in. Supposed to be a "balmy" -15C today so the plug in won't be necessary. :thumbsup:

Fair enough, I don't mind being on the island by myself :D And again, I'm not saying that synthetic is a bad product, I'm saying in the application of vehicles, particularly used vehicles, I've experienced nothing but bad things.

Abom, I'm on your island.
Same oil brand since new on all vehicles in my garage.
If it came with synth then put synth in.
I am not convinced on blends. If you need to flush in order to start using synthetic then how the heck are you to expect a synthetic blend to be a benefit or stay suspended?
I change oil at 3 to 5 thousand mile depending on how fast the miles click off. I change the atf at 30k red or brown whatever the color. Done.

Peace

Back