Seatbelt buckle/receiver/latch HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seatbelt buckle/receiver/latch HELP

EyeintheSky57

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Hi all,

I am dealing with a seatbelt issue in an '02 Mountaineer.

The front passenger seatbelt receiver doesn't allow the latch plate to go in.

If you press the button first, the latch plate goes right in. But then you need to un-press the button, it will lock. Make sense?

Any ideas how to proceed?

I could handle it but it is annoying for passengers.

Thanks

Have you tried flushing it out with penetrant and cycling? The mechanism tends to get sticky.

Place a towel underneath before you start, amazing amount of junk that flows out of there.

If flushing it out doesn't work, you can do what I did; buy an extension. You can get genuine Ford seatbelt extensions and just secure it to the funky receiver and then have a brand new buckle mechanism that's easier to reach! They run about $15 on eBay.

Thanks guys.

I have flushed it out.

No change. It actually operates smoothly.

It's strange... in a working seatbelt, the actual LATCH sits out of the way when until the male part of the belt is inserted. The male plate being inserted is what "springs" the latch.

In my broken seatbelt, that actual latch is already in the way when the male plate is inserted.

My vehicle came with the OEM seatbelt extender... I will use this in the meantime...

Does anyone know if a seatbelt extender "eliminator" (so it is shorter) will work in a 2002?

Back