Seized Injectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Arissett

Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer, XLT
When I tell you that all 8 of my injectors are seized inside of my engine I’m not lying. I’ve gotten 3 out but they’ve taken about 30-45 mins each of careful prying and penetration fluid. I stopped at 3 because the next one I tried working on really did not want to budge and I thought I’d come here and see if there’s anyway to remove these easily. The injectors themselves move freely. They spin and they rotate and flex around very easily. It’s just o-rings will not let them out. I’ve soaked these things in penetrating fluid countless times now. I even tried silicone lubricant specifically for the rubber o rings. Another issue is even after lubricating the new o rings on the injectors they don’t want to pop into the holes. I’ve verified that there isn’t anything stuck inside the holes and the injectors are a 1 to 1 match. So do I just have to push it in hard? I didn’t think that was smart to do hence why I didn’t. 1999 Explorer 5.0L V8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I tell you that all 8 of my injectors are seized inside of my engine I’m not lying. I’ve gotten 3 out but they’ve taken about 30-45 mins each of careful prying and penetration fluid. I stopped at 3 because the next one I tried working on really did not want to budge and I thought I’d come here and see if there’s anyway to remove these easily. The injectors themselves move freely. They spin and they rotate and flex around very easily. It’s just o-rings will not let them out. I’ve soaked these things in penetrating fluid countless times now. I even tried silicone lubricant specifically for the rubber o rings. Another issue is even after lubricating the new o rings on the injectors they don’t want to pop into the holes. I’ve verified that there isn’t anything stuck inside the holes and the injectors are a 1 to 1 match. So do I just have to push it in hard? I didn’t think that was smart to do hence why I didn’t. 1999 Explorer 5.0L V8.
I pulled the injectors on my SOHC to replace o rings and seals and used pliers to carefully remove them

I pulled the injectors on my SOHC to replace o rings and seals and used pliers to carefully remove them
I did use my pliers. I actually used two different sized pliers. I don’t get any luck either. I’m being completely serious when I say they are really stuck in there lol.

I did use my pliers. I actually used two different sized pliers. I don’t get any luck either. I’m being completely serious when I say they are really stuck in there lol.
lol ok try pb blaster let it sit a while then spray again and try again

lol ok try pb blaster let it sit a while then spray again and try again
Do you have any idea why the new ones won’t go in? The 3 I’ve taken out I’ve went to replace and the new ones basically will start to slide in up until the o ring is about to be fully covered and that’s where they’ll stop. I’ve verified already that the old o rings are out of the holes and there doesn’t appear to be anything stopping it from going in. Like I said in the original post it’s a 1 to 1 identical injector swap.

ok so in those holes any carbon buildup? if it gets buildup its basically hardening the injector to the metal surface thus making it very hard ot remove and same for install if not fully cleaned out itll be like trying to twist and break up some carbon (hard!)

Weird, mine came right out of my SOHC after 200k.
must be a tight fit if lubing it doesnt even work when it goes in (or comes out) usually works quite well

Do you have any idea why the new ones won’t go in? The 3 I’ve taken out I’ve went to replace and the new ones basically will start to slide in up until the o ring is about to be fully covered and that’s where they’ll stop. I’ve verified already that the old o rings are out of the holes and there doesn’t appear to be anything stopping it from going in. Like I said in the original post it’s a 1 to 1 identical injector swap.
They wasn't hard at all on my SOHC not sure why your having issues unless there is dirt or carbon buildup

must be a tight fit if lubing it doesnt even work when it goes in (or comes out) usually works quite well
Try motor oil to lube them thats what I did

He's got a v8 so aluminum corrosion is most likely the issue here. Spray with wd40 then wiggle while pulling.

He's got a v8 so aluminum corrosion is most likely the issue here. Spray with wd40 then wiggle while pulling.
Totally forgot about that yep your right man that should work i was thinking about the plastic sleeves the SOHC has

Back