Serpentine Belt/Tensioner Tips? 2002 4.6L V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine Belt/Tensioner Tips? 2002 4.6L V8

cyearns

Reaction score
City, State
Grandview, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a rattle that I think is coming from either the belt tensioner or the idler pulley. I was taking a quick look at it and looks like there isn't much room to get down there to loosen the tensioner up. Do any of you have any tips or recommendations to make this task easier? Should I remove the electrical fan or just squeeze my way in there?

I've also heard of some complaints of the "lousy design" of the belt tensioner that allows it to shake and rattle. Are there any brands of replacement belt tensioners that seem to be better then others?

I have a rattle that I think is coming from either the belt tensioner or the idler pulley. I was taking a quick look at it and looks like there isn't much room to get down there to loosen the tensioner up. Do any of you have any tips or recommendations to make this task easier? Should I remove the electrical fan or just squeeze my way in there?

I've also heard of some complaints of the "lousy design" of the belt tensioner that allows it to shake and rattle. Are there any brands of replacement belt tensioners that seem to be better then others?

IF you want to loosen the tensioner up to take your serp belt off then just take a 1/2" breaker bar and stick it in the square port on the end of the tensioner and push down to take tension off the belt. To actually take the tensioner off all you will need to do is to undo three bolts that connect it to your front engine cover after having taken the serpentine belt off and then the tensioner will just drop right off. Very simple job.

If I were you I would take the suspect idler pulley off and then also the tensioner as well and check their pulley bearings. That is what it most likely is, unless something has just come loose and only needs to be retightened.

If you end up needing a new tensioner I have my stock one for sale because I swapped to an 8 rib front setup to run the Kenne Bell blower. I think I also have my stocker 6 rib idlers as well. Either way all they have been doing is gathering dust so if you want them I will let them go for pretty cheap.

Yeah just checked, I have my entire front accessory system still here so if you need anything for your truck just let me know. :D

Back