Serpentine Belt Tensioner

PHaTGRoB

Reaction score
City, State
Ruthin, North Wales, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Green '99 North Face
Oh, well. I was having it too good!

Driving into town this morning there was a hell of a squealing noise from the engine right across the rev range.
Turns out that the belt tensioner was packing up and not fully tensioning the belt. I took it off and the pulley bearings are OK but the tensioner's spring section is falling apart with a huge amount of play in it.
Anyone else had one go in this way?

So, I need a new tensioner. I can find loads in the States (Rock Auto, etc.) but where in the UK? Do Ford stock these? USAuto sell the pulley but not the tensioner unit. I'll also be needing a new drive belt now as well.
Bearings on alternator, etc. all seem OK.
GRoB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have a look on fordpartsuk, ull have to send a request form off, but they respond very quickly

Not sure whether these guys are european based (germany?) or America based but might be worth a try. Otherwise it gives you the correct part number for ordering with ford
USAllparts - tensioner

Edit - they are in cali

new tensioner

hi i can do a new tensioner with pully for £35 inc P&P. cheers chris

Otherwise it gives you the correct part number for ordering with ford

Except, ironically they have the part number wrong. The 'Z' should be an 'E'

Also the part number changed from 15/08/1999 on although I think any difference would be minor and they would still be interchangeable.

Sounds like the offer from Chris is your best bet anyway!

SS

Cheers fellas.
SS. I spotted that. Part number on my old unit is F77E-6B209-AA.
Thanks Chris. Is this a new item? If so, I'll take it. Do you have a belt too?
GRoB

be aware, if you get the belt from your local motor factors and they supply a Gates one, the Gates listing for the explorer is wrong and the belt they supply is about 20mm too long. It will fit ok but 1000 miles down the road it will start slipping, especially on start-up.

When I get up I will have a look in my garage as I have the correct Gates reference number written on the wall

jim

Thanks for the warning Jim. I have noticed that some belts are listed with differning lengths. Mine measures about 86" (ooooh er missus!).

hi yes the tensioner is a new item still in the box. sorry i dont have a belt cheers chris

Thanks Chris. I'll Paypal the money to you now. I've only just been able to access the Forum...it's been off all day. Have others had the same problem? GRoB.

hi rob
i have the payment will post in the morning
yes its been down all day
cheers chris

Chris. New tensioner arrived...Thanks. It shows how knackered the spring in the old one was! Also ordered the serpentine belt from Euro Car Parts of all places for £26 (half what Ford wanted). It's made by Continental and should be the right length (supposedly 2175mm/85.6") but I'll see when it arrives! GRoB.

Fitted new tensioner (thanks Chris) and new belt (Contitech 6PK2175).
As expected, the new belt was very slightly shorter and nowhere near as flexible as the old one and, as a result, was not easy to fit. It is a bit tight and runs pretty close to the tensioner body (without touching it though) but hopefully it will bed in and loosen up soon. I have kept the (just servicable) old belt in case it doesn't. Also I couldn't find a torque quoted for the tensioner mounting bolt, so tightened it to about 30 lb ft. Seems OK. GRoB.

...belt "lengthening" nicely...engine et al running smoother than it used to.

We lost our tensioner pulley a while back. We were driving along down in Kent when we heard and felt a loud bang from the O/S front which initially we thought was a rock. Then all the warning lights popped on the the steering went rock hard....
Turned out the tensioner pulley had exploded...
RAC got us home and out local garage had to order a new one from Australia of all places. Our nearest Ford dealerships barely knew what an Explorer was (no one had been there more than 3 years..) let alone anything about ordering parts.

Back