Serpentine pulley removal and/or replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine pulley removal and/or replacement

Kyle K.

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Hey guys, gettin the new engine ready for install and i have a cracked pulley on my power steering pump. How does one remove the pulley from the P/S pump, i guess the install is gonna be the reverse, i just don't see bolt holes or the usual items one normally uses to pull a pulley off with. Anyway thanx for the info in advance, dodgerr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need a special tool. Search for power steering and you'll find your answers.....

sometimes it might be cheaper and more time efficient if you just replace the entire PS unit all together. I had a pulley broken in my Cherokee and instead of toying with it I just bought a used unit from the scrap yard for $50.00.....
otherwise you need a special tool for that... so if you take it to the dealer it'll cost you more....

just me... I don't know.

Auto Zone, and probably others lends the tool.
Its a "must use" for removal & INSTALLATION.
You can F-up the pump installing ithe pully without the tool.

Thanx

THanx guys, 'preciate the info i'll get the puller from autozen when i get the bracket back, i already have a new pump and pulley, the new pump has the crack in it and the old pump doesn't so i am swapping the pulley onto the new pump, but since i am takin things apart i am sending the bracket along with the alternator bracket and the intake mainfold (after being completely smoothed) with a valve cover for my neon to be powdercoated silver. By the way does anyone know where to get nice valve covers for the OHV 4.0? i haven't found any yet. Thanx again, dodgerr

Back