• Register Today It's free!

shackle question

cain79

Reaction score
City, State
Belleville New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer sport
would the revolver shackles from jeep work on an explorer 97 sport?

I'm dying to know the answer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one knows. The specs for a Jeep YJ shackle are more or less interchange with an Explorer so theoretically buying the Revolvers for a YJ may work.

The problem is that Revolver itself doesn't want anyone to try it because they believe that their shackles will not be strong enough to handle offroad abuse with (much heavier than Jeep YJ) Explorers. If they know you're gonna try it on an Explorer they won't sell you a set.

Thus, if you want to be the guinea pig, you could order Revolvers, tell them you have a YJ, and see what happens. Several of us wanted to do that at one time or another but didn't want to spend all that money on a set of Revolvers and find out that they pretzel on the trail. If they were at lot cheaper I might have experimented with it, but for what they cost it wasn't worth it to me to waste that amount of money if it didn't work.

hehheee heheheheh

mmmmmmmmm
feels like I wanna try it...

what's the construction of warrior shackles? I mean how stronger it is than revolvers?

is it made up of some kind of steel?

wat do u think ppl? is it worth a try?

how big a difference weight an explorer to a yj jeep?

explorers and rangers have an english eye rap so the revovlers will not work on them ...it has nothing to do with the weight fo the vehicle because hell they make them for the full size bronco at that is alot heavier than an explorer

my explorer..missing whole front end... weighed 4125 @ the scales with no me or cargo on an half full tank

with me and full tank and gas and camping stuff and the missing body parts, i would guess easily 5000 lbs

if I?

if I use he bronco version of revolver with the holes fit with my x?

Oops, you're right, forgot about the eyewrap issue too. But when some were discussing modifying the eyewrap I called Revolver and they still didn't want to do it because they thought the Jeep shackles would be too weak. I don't know about the Bronco; evidently it's a whole 'nuther shackle setup with Revolver?

u know revolvers aren't all that great anyways they don't add that much droop (on a YJ) maybe 3-5" and that isn't worth the money

mmmmmmmm

how different is the stock bronco eye wrap to an explorer eye wrap?

The other issue is, what are the dimensions of a Bronco (early or late?) shackle in addtion to the eyes at the end of the leaf. Even if the eyelets are okay would it fit or not?

You asked about the construction of Warriors and how strong are they. This has been discussed before. You can click on "Gerald's Truck" in my sig line below and page down to my second post which is an article on some of the mods I've done. There is an extensive section about the Warriors since it was I who designed them and got a company to build and market them. They are made of 3/8" plate steel, crossbraced, and literally bulletproof. You will bend your frame before bending a Warrior.

If you decide to be the Revolver guinea pig please keep us updated because there are many who are wondering about it. You will have to modify that leaf eyelet though before trying it, so there's money out your pocket before you even get to buying the Revolvers, which ain't cheap by anyone's definition. Then you get to test them on a vehicle that the manufacturer itself (Revolver) says it will fail on.

And Clint has a point. For paying the big money to get a little added droop, there have been tales of wheel hop side effects that lessened, not gained, traction in many situations. It's a complicated issue and won't be answered for Explorers until someone actually tries it and uses (abuses) it on trails in one of our vehicles to see what it really does and if it is worth it.

to be or not to be

I'm convinced with the warriors and as u said its not expensive...

thank u guys.... u really helped a lot...

but if ever I decided to test the revolver u will be informed ...
I'm gonna talk to the local people here first....

thanks guys

Back