Shaking steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shaking steering wheel

tmoney4444

Reaction score
City, State
Central Islip,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello everyone. I'm having a issue that when I go around 65mph and hit a little bump my front end shakes and I feel it in my steering wheel untill I slow down. Then it goes away. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello everyone. I'm having a issue that when I go around 65mph and hit a little bump my front end shakes and I feel it in my steering wheel untill I slow down. Then it goes away. Any help would be appreciated.

Could be lots of things:
Tie rod ends
Alignment
Ball joints
Tire
Hub bearings
Rack
Tire balance
Strut

When I bought mine, it had a horrendous vibration at about 65. It was like running a weed wacker. Thought the front end was shot, but turned out the biggest offender was a wheel only 2oz out of balance. Still had a little vibration so I rebuilt the front end. All brand new Raybestos Pro grade components. Still has some vibration at times. Switching tires and wheels made no difference. Brakes are in great shape and I measured thickness and runout. So I'm fairly sure my problem must be in the rack. I do have some slack in the rack.

In my case with the original out of balance it would come and go kind of rhythmically. I think it was the two front wheels balances cancelling each other out. If I would make a lane change or turn the vibration would come and go. Bumps also had some impact on it. In your case it's probably a combination of a bad tie rod and alignment, but verify before you start throwing parts and money at it.

So you need to start with the obvious and easy stuff. Check tires and wheels first. Then check front end parts. Replace worn front end parts and get and alignment. Usually they have to be pretty bad before they cause vibration. Check wheel bearings for excess play. Then check your rotors for runout. Probably finally check that the rack is good.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to start investigating in the morning and I"ll keep you posted.

Back