Shift cable into instrument cluster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift cable into instrument cluster

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
I'm trying to replace bad cluster lights. Looked at several YouTube videos and followed their instructions but none of them mentioned the shift cable for the indicator where it runs into the cluster. Not knowing this I tilted the cluster heard something pop and saw the cable and it's plastic holder. It seems to have disconnected and now I can't shift into gear. Any help? I'm stuck with no transportation until I can get this fixed. Thanks.
OK slight change. I put the cluster completely back into place and can shift into gear but the indicator doesn't move. I'm baffled. I can't see what to do to disconnect the cable from the cluster. Please help.

I just did this....however I was going in there to change bad odometer gear....same procedure....and same thing happened to me...
You NEED to completely remove cluster all the way (again? ....not sure if you jumped ship part way through...sounds like it) BUT this time START by removing the other end of this cable....and be aware it's white plastic end connector breaks REALLY easy....good news is there's a quick inexpensive fix....ONCE you have cluster out the part that popped out on top will easily fit back into place.....easy to see how it fits in too...
See my post here for pics.....
HELP! Started disassebling instrument panel and shift indicator disconnected

( I replaced main bulbs while I was in there too.....if you use bright white LED's your panel will have cool looking dark blue look..vs light blue...they illuminate the blue color of panel more.... bonus points....)

I just did this....however I was going in there to change bad odometer gear....same procedure....and same thing happened to me...
You NEED to completely remove cluster all the way (again? ....not sure if you jumped ship part way through...sounds like it) BUT this time START by removing the other end of this cable....and be aware it's white plastic end connector breaks REALLY easy....good news is there's a quick inexpensive fix....ONCE you have cluster out the part that popped out on top while easily fit back into place..
See my post here for pics.....
HELP! Started disassebling instrument panel and shift indicator disconnected

( I replaced main bulbs while I was in there too.....if you use bright white LED's your panel will have cool looking dark blue look..vs light blue...they illuminate the blue color of panel more.... bonus points....)
OK I found the answer on an 1aauto.com video about cluster removal on a Ranger. The indicator slides out of the cluster when the two tabs are pressed up. Out of 4 videos on this subject this was the only one that mentions this. Thanks for replying.

Okay.... well I had to get the whole cluster out and opened up to do my job.... and it released upon taking cluster apart.... even with it releasing without disconnecting cable at bottom I'm not sure you'll be able to get your hand in that cramped area to put it back... and not stress cable....etc....but let us know....

Back