• Register Today It's free!

Shifter Cable

skiboy214

Reaction score
City, State
Newark, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4 door XLT
Ok, so, I went offroading yesterday and my auto-transmission only shifts in one Direction. From Park, which i must get under the car and manually shift to, my explorer will only go one way, meaning, if I put the car in Drive it will cannot go into reverse or park, but it can go into 2 and 1 speed. If it is put in 1 then it cannot go into Drive, reverse, neutral etc.... I checked the shift cable and it appears that there is a black plastic square shaped piece where the sleeve for the cable is mounted. The sleeve has broken off of this mount so when the cable moves in the down direction the entire sleeve moves with it, which is why (im guessing) I can only shift in one direction. Does anyone know how to fix this, hopefully without replacing the entire shift cable. But if so, where can i go to buy one?

Thanks for all your help, this site has always helped me with all my problems.

If you have to move the part on the transmission by hand, then it has to be the cable. I had to replace a cable on mine. I don't remember the exact price. How much is a cable for your vehicle?

I Had To Replace A Kickdown Cable, And I Priced The Shift Cable Too At The Same Time, i wasn't Sure What It Was, And They're Around 60.00 - 70.00, Go to a junkyard... 5-10 dollars, And you have your choice. Might even be able to just get the plastic piece for free.

Thanks for the help guys, but i ended up just goin and getting plastic weld two-part epoxy. It's been working well for the last couple of days so I think it should hold up til the engine dies, which currently has 254,000 miles on it anyway.

Back