Shifting into 4wd and 4wd low range without transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting into 4wd and 4wd low range without transfer case

Swandog1

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
I recently purchased a 1994 Ford Explorer with manual hubs. Everything on the truck works great but the only issue that I have encountered is that their is no transfer case. The guy that I bought the truck from said that he had been four wheeling without it several times and just had his buddy go under and switch it by hand. I looked where it is and he was keeping it in 4wd high and just kept his hubs on free. My first question is, is it okay to keep it like this? My other question is how do I get the truck in 4wd low by just turning the knob? And my last question is, I tried switching the truck from 4wd to 4wd low using the little knob and I hurt a loud rattling and then when I put it in drive it would only rev the engine, it was like it was in neutral...

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

If your able to drive it, you have a transfer case installed, as that is where the drive shafts hook to.

What I believe your talking about is the "Shift Motor". This part is connected to the 4wd push button switch's on the dash. This is connected to the transfer case and it spins the range selection back and forth from 2wd / Hi / Low ranges.

If this motor goes bad, it can be removed, and then the selector shaft can be turned by hand, using a set of pliers into the gear range of choice, if done properly, and in Neutral for low range. This is potentially dangerous, as the vehicle can run you over while doing this. Always use a person inside with a foot on the brake for safety, if this needs to be done.

You can find another shift motor at a junkyard, or buy a new one if it is indeed bad.

Best advice I can give you today is to familiarize yourself with this forum, and the drivetrain section and browse the topic threads.

I bet thyou rattling was because you didn't turn it quite far enough, so it was not engaged but not in neutral.
You can shift by hand using pliers, from 2wd all the way to 4lo. 2wd is all the way clockwise, 4 lo is all the way counter clockwise. 4 hi is somewhere in between, but there's no detent for it, so it's tough to find it.

Google the shiftster. For about 50 bucks, it would solve your problem.

Think i bought my shift motor on ebay for $85.
takes 30min to take out the old and install the new:thumbsup:

Back