• Register Today It's free!

Shock replacement...how often?

kloadman97

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, O.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
Was just wondering what the general rule of thumb was for getting rid of the old shocks and putting in new ones. As I continue with doing some routine tune-up type work on my car (spark plugs, filters, etc.) I am noticing more and more that the one previous owner did little or nothing to keep up with a good tune-up schedule, as the original spark plaugs and wires, fuel filter, and lord only knows what else are original and the car now has 76,500 miles on it. I am very much used to more sedan like cars, so pardon my ignorance in not knowing how to properly care for my Explorer. Does this mean I have to spend a day washing and waxing the neighbor's Honda?

I do not intend to do some crazy off-roading, but like anyone else I want the smoothest and most efficient running machine possible. If that means it might be time to get new shocks and all that fun stuff so be it. I would rather do it now while I have someone to help me fix it. Any thoughts on when to change them, and especially ideas on what to buy if they need changed would be great. Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

50-60k miles would be a good rule of thumb. However, remember some wear out quicker.

I replaced my front shocks this summer, but I havent done my rears yet. They are the factory shocks with 150,000 on them. LOL . I spose I should change them sometime.

i had exactly 76k on mine when i changed them out for ranchos. one of the best things i have done yet:D

Originally posted by audiodude332001
They are the factory shocks with 150,000 on them.
150,000 miles?!?! Yea, I'd say its right about the right time to change 'em. The factory shocks are good but not that good. :D

I think ANY shocks would be an improvement! :D

It might sound stupid but you replace them when they are bad. Now before you think duh what an a$$ that codepoet is! Check them, its really easy...goto the front corner of your truck...push it down a couple of times and if it oscilates (goes up and down) I think more than 3 times the shocks are worn out. I don't know, but probably 50000 miles is a good rule of thumb like aldive said. Hope i didn't sound like a jerk :p

Later
CP :D

CodePoet, that technique do not work if one of the front shocks is still good. Well I guess it won't show it as obvious if both were worn out.

50-60k is the motor vehicle industry standard average

thanks...

Codepoet - no harm done...like I said in the opening post I am used to driving more sedan type cars, so I am just cutting my teeth so to speak with regards to my Explorer, what to expect, taking care of it, etc. Finding lots of original parts on it as my friend and I work on some things got me wondering about the shocks as well. If the previous owner never got a decent tune-up I would bet money they never even dreamed of playing with the shocks. Since I am now at 76,500 it looks like it may be time to look into their replacement.

As the majority opinion seems to be to change them, what exactly should I buy? I do not plan to do major off-roading, if any at all. With that in mind, what can I purchase to provide a nice smooth ride? Any chimp can walk into NAPA, etc. or look on websites, but I was hoping you crew here might have some ideas based on their own experiences with their Explorers and other info.

You guys rock!!!

For ride and especially service & warentee(lifetime) I use Monroe from a local dealer.
I now have Reflex and am happy with the ride. I had Sensetrac on the 96X but it was lowered so its hard to compare.

Back