• Register Today It's free!

Should Ford Cover This?

Belo

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
New to the forums, not to forums or cars.

Just picked up a limited 15 explorer in September. Only at 1.5k miles and so far so good. We have a 1k mile roadtrip coming up so I cleaned up the inside and popped the hood to check oil and inspect.

Low and behold in 16 years of car ownership I have my first squirrel nest. This is one of 2 cars parked outside of our 3 and it's near an oak. So of course they pick the new ride over the old truck.

The pics below show the damage partially cleaned up. I did find a small piece of tube in the pile and immediately started thinking evap or vac. Digging around for a while I eventually discover it's tubing to my rear washer reservoir. Ok, this isn't so bad I can drive without that.

What I discovered while searching for the broken tube though is that the squirrel had pulled most of this white cotton from a pad that was inside the passenger front bumper. I don't believe it's supposed to be there and probably padding left over to protect the part pre-install.

The tubing isn't easy to access, and although I've rebuilt engines I don't feel like fixing this...

So, if the pad wasn't supposed to be there, and the rodent used it to make a nest, should it be covered? Should the dealer fix it on good faith assuming it's pretty cheap? Just wondering what I'm in for.

nest was here in red. garbage is what I pulled out
008_zpsqspsh4c6.jpg

006_zpsaahojjrr.jpg

007_zpspawurefp.jpg

padding found behind washer fluid reservoir
011_zpsmywkabc4.jpg

broken tube
009_zpsue4thqpy.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that "cotton" pad looks to be either from the under the hood liner. or atleast that's the first thing I thought of.

the box you took a pic of is what exactly? looks like the bottom of the air filter box but I wanted to ask to be certain.

how'd a cup get in there? that's impressive.

I don't know that ford should cover it - but your home owners insurnace might. I'd certainly inspect for other damages.

Not only will Ford not cover it you might even end up with a voided warranty. I'd take it to independent shops for insurance estimates.

Rodent damages fall outside the "normal use" clause in most warranty's.

Welcome to the Forum Belo.:wavey:
The Warranty Guide doesn't specifically state this is or isn't covered but since the damage is not due to a failed part I'd say that you are on your own with any repair costs.

Peter

New to the forums, not to forums or cars.

padding found behind washer fluid reservoir
011_zpsmywkabc4.jpg

That is a noise reduction pad, but not an engine bay one. usually those are black and have more durable shell. You can see sonic weld marks on the corners. These types are used on interior parts like door panels, quarter panel trims etc.

Don't know how it got there.

There isn't a chance Ford would cover this, nor should they be expected to (goodwill or otherwise). Likely not worth the trouble to pursue an insurance claim either.....

There isn't a chance Ford would cover this, nor should they be expected to (goodwill or otherwise). Likely not worth the trouble to pursue an insurance claim either.....

A friend's Hyundia was attacked under the hood by squirrels. It required a new harness, and, their insurance did indeed pay the claim. The car was parked overnight in another town, in a friend's driveway. This may have been a factor. It was an auto insurance claim. I think it would boil down to how well you get along with your agent.

On a side note, during my conversation with him I found out that environmental concerns have caused auto manufacturers to use soy based oils in place of mineral based as treatment on the wire harnesses. That will make them taste even yummier to those little critters.

Hyundai did do the repairs, but voided the warranty on the car. :(

that "cotton" pad looks to be either from the under the hood liner. or atleast that's the first thing I thought of.

the box you took a pic of is what exactly? looks like the bottom of the air filter box but I wanted to ask to be certain.

how'd a cup get in there? that's impressive.

I don't know that ford should cover it - but your home owners insurnace might. I'd certainly inspect for other damages.

not going to file a claim for a $3 piece of hose. it's just hard to get to. The cotton is most definitely from the factory and not anywhere else. it was stuck good in the bumper.

cup previously in the garbage :)

the box is the intake and what your engine looks like with the foam cover removed. i circled in red where the nest was.

Not only will Ford not cover it you might even end up with a voided warranty. I'd take it to independent shops for insurance estimates.

Rodent damages fall outside the "normal use" clause in most warranty's.

that's pretty extreme, not to mention illegal under the Magnusun act. If my tranny goes, it's not because a rodent ate my windshield washer hose.

That is a noise reduction pad, but not an engine bay one. usually those are black and have more durable shell. You can see sonic weld marks on the corners. These types are used on interior parts like door panels, quarter panel trims etc.

yeah that was my thought. there's no way this pad should be where it is and why I believe it's partially their fault. No way would I expect coverage for rodents if it wasn't for the pad.

Hyundai did do the repairs, but voided the warranty on the car. :(

again i'll state that is illegal. I can take the whole interior out of my car and set it on fire and they still have to cover the engine. a wiper tube is not cause to void a warranty of anything except the washer system. your friend got screwed.

Damn I read that all wrong.

missed the red circle from the first pic too.

UHm no ford doesn't have to honor warranty if there is proof of prior damange. IE if those squirrels chewed a wire harness - and 3 weeks later your engine decided that it's in the wrong RPM range or decides to shift wrong from a short.

well warranty is shot when the tech pulls the wire harness out and it's got damange.

This is why I say it needs a fairly through inspection - not just for safety but for future issues.

Insurance should cover it - it's probably home owners not auto - but that varies.

and once inspected - you'll know for certain and have a piece of paper to hang on to.

the tube - I agree it's minimal, but it's the stuff you can't see easily that could be an issue. also just because you don't know - I'd change the oil and coolant and prolly brake fluid (due to location)

Also just noticed you're in Oxford MS. I'm not far from there, who is your dealer.

I bought my fords from Hallmark Batesville. They've treated me fairly well so far but I've not really used their service department.

knock on wood I won't ever have to.

Good Luck though.

I thought that too but I figured it had to come from under the hood, fender wells etc. not inside the car. but stranger things have happened.

Hell it might not even be from that car - it could have been brought over.

As far as warranty only the affected parts have a voided warranty. Ford would still have to prove that any warranty claimed issue was directly caused by the damage.

Damn I read that all wrong.

missed the red circle from the first pic too.

UHm no ford doesn't have to honor warranty if there is proof of prior damange. IE if those squirrels chewed a wire harness - and 3 weeks later your engine decided that it's in the wrong RPM range or decides to shift wrong from a short.

well warranty is shot when the tech pulls the wire harness out and it's got damange.

This is why I say it needs a fairly through inspection - not just for safety but for future issues.

Insurance should cover it - it's probably home owners not auto - but that varies.

and once inspected - you'll know for certain and have a piece of paper to hang on to.

the tube - I agree it's minimal, but it's the stuff you can't see easily that could be an issue. also just because you don't know - I'd change the oil and coolant and prolly brake fluid (due to location)

I'm sorry man, and no disrespect but you're off your rocker. Brake fluid? You're right that there could be a wire harness with some small fraying but as far as internals and major components I think I'm just fine. There's a million sensors on new cars.

As far as warranty only the affected parts have a voided warranty. Ford would still have to prove that any warranty claimed issue was directly caused by the damage.

Exactly.

that's pretty extreme, not to mention illegal under the Magnusun act. If my tranny goes, it's not because a rodent ate my windshield washer hose.

BTW its Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act for anyone interested.
The "Magnuson" act was for repealing parts of the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Magnuson-Moss is the reason why we get to keep our warranties even if we change the oil ourselves at the house.

Pretty much is what I said before. To deny a warranty claim, the warranty provider has to prove that your actions caused the defect.

If a rat chews a washer hose and you take your car in for a shock noise, they can't deny you the rest of the warranty because the two are unrelated.

Magnuson-Moss is the reason why we get to keep our warranties even if we change the oil ourselves at the house.

Pretty much is what I said before. To deny a warranty claim, the warranty provider has to prove that your actions caused the defect.

If a rat chews a washer hose and you take your car in for a shock noise, they can't deny you the rest of the warranty because the two are unrelated.

Good response!

I'm sorry man, and no disrespect but you're off your rocker. Brake fluid? You're right that there could be a wire harness with some small fraying but as far as internals and major components I think I'm just fine. There's a million sensors on new cars.

the nest and other crap was up by the brake reservoir - do you know that it didn't get contaminated? if nothing else check the cap and seals to make sure they car solid then.

also brake fluid should be replaced regularly anyway as is 2-4 years depending on type so might as well start off fresh.

while on the surface I agree with you, I've seen this contested a few times. first thing depends a good bit on your state laws. and the other bit on how much you know or work on yourself.

some some dealers don't quibble. but for reasons I don't understand there are some that will pretty much wait till you go to court over it. And often they will start off with - well this part is previously damaged that's not covered.

also someone mentioned struts or something -those are wear items in your warranty anyway - so that's mostly out.

but if the OP here has some electrical issue - and there's a damaged wire - that's been left I bet money they will try to deny warranty.

Engine spits a ring - Oh hey you had a squirel nest in your car - did the oil get contaminated with - hell looky here there was dirt in your oil pick up . . . . .

just saying in some cases dealers smurf you on the front end. In other cases - they help out and fix issues. I hope for the OP it's more the latter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

specifically it's not the work you do your self.

It's more the brand of part you buy. Magnuson-moss is mostly about you using replacement parts not sourced through a dealer or manufacturer.

Ie you changed your oil and didn't use motorcraft oil and motorcraft filter therefore we void your warranty.

Back