Should I attempt to replace the spark plugs on my 4.0L or let the dealer try? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I attempt to replace the spark plugs on my 4.0L or let the dealer try?

Worktofish

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Just hit 99,000 miles on my 2006 XLT 4.0L 4x4 and was about to do the 100k maintenance. However, I noted that there are all sorts of warnings about spark plug breakage.

I called the dealer, and they said it's really a V8 issue.

Should I attempt?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There has been no issues for spark plug breakage on the 4.0. Like the dealer said, it was a problem for the 4.6's.
So, it's your choice if you want to do it yourself or have the dealer do it.

If you're really worried about possible breakage, it won't hurt to squirt some PB Blaster into each hole and allow it to sit for about 30 minutes. I did that on my V8 and replacing my plugs was a breeze (literally)!

even if you have to buy a few tools for this, you'll save a lot of $$. I have so much confidence in you I suggest buying a six pack of real good beer, so you can pop one when done and savor the flavor of a job done yourself.

Yeah, it's doable. If I can do it, anybody...........

Those instructions are for 4.6 v8, different animal.

Stupid easy to replace on the 4.0 in these trucks. Cylinders 2 and 3 (especially #3) are a little awkward to get to but that's it.

Thanks guys. While I would not call it "easy" or a "10 minute job", they came out in one piece after soaking in PB Blaster, working them in an out, and stopping and starting to resoak some of them. I definitely should have replaced them sooner as the factory recommendation is too long. Lesson learned there.

I also swapped out all 4 brakes. Amazing that after 11 years there was still a lot of pad left. However, I think they petrified, so it was good to replace and bleed the brakes too.

Back