• Register Today It's free!

Shoulda had a V8?

Chris04ST

Reaction score
City, State
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 4x4
Does anyone feel like Ford should have put a v8 into the sport tracs? I see the new ones with the 4.6L and i'm just like man, why not us? I wonder what the motive was. Plus i see rangers with what appears to be the same 4.0 v6. I'm not trying to complain too much , i love my ST but why not a V8? Does anyone else think there should have been v8's?

To anyone who has swapped a 5.0 or any v8 into their truck, how is it?

:usa: :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I completely agree with you. There is a tv show called Trucks on spike tv and they took a mazda (ford ranger with a different emblem) and swapped out the 4 cylinder with a 4.6L V8 out of something like a crown vic. I would love to do a project like this but dont have the money or garage space/tools to do it. Maybe later down the road I can.

a ford 302 from a explorer looks great in a sport trac but i've only seen them have to use a AWD setup. but why stop there, a 347 would be killer.

yes the 4.0 in our ST's our dissapointing

I think the problem was that the 1st gen sport tracs were still based on the 2nd gen explorer platform. And the 4.6 is a super tight fit. They could have used the 302, but I think ford had already kept it around in the explorer longer than they really wanted to, since their main focus was on the 4.6 and 5.4 motors.

a ford 302 from a explorer looks great in a sport trac but i've only seen them have to use a AWD setup. but why stop there, a 347 would be killer.

yes the 4.0 in our ST's our dissapointing

They also came in 2wd, or if you wanted 4wd you could swap in a 4406 transfer case from an f-150.

No need to swap, just have one every morning:
v8juice_jpg.jpg

I am by no means an afficiando but I keep thinking that I remember reading somewhere that the 4.0 and 5.0 use the same frame mounts so dropping one in wouldn't really be that big of a deal. grab a nice world class t-5 trans(for a 2wd) or a beefed AOD. put the trans cross member where it needs to be. Modify driveshaft(s) as needed.

I think the problem was that the 1st gen sport tracs were still based on the 2nd gen explorer platform. And the 4.6 is a super tight fit. They could have used the 302, but I think ford had already kept it around in the explorer longer than they really wanted to, since their main focus was on the 4.6 and 5.4 motors.

yeah that makes sense, plus the 4.0 is in the rangers too and it kinda makes me feel underpowered

That 5.0 sounds beautiful in the video, can only imagine what it's like in person.
I love driving my 5.0L Limited. Sometimes I think about selling my Sport Trac because I love the 5.0L power that the Limited has.

Here's a video of me doing some late night muddin in the my 5.0L Limited. The only mods I've done to the 5.0L is using an S&B cone filter and having a Magnaflow muffler. This video was taken with my Palm Pre phone mounted to the windshield.

DISCLAIMER: This video contains Country/Western music.

Back