Slippery leather steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slippery leather steering wheel

gulftracker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT, '09 EB
My new '09 EB has a good looking leather steering wheel, but the trouble is that it is quite slick compared to my '07 XLT and I dont feel the same level of driving control. I have tried a couple of applications of Lexol leather conditioner, but I dont think it even soaks in. I would prefer not to have to put an after market steering wheel cover on a new car. Anyone out there have a solution?

Yeah, I know I have two posts with problems with this '09 so you might ask "why did you buy it"? but I like it overall and my '07 is great.

I would give it a little bit of time, every new vehicle I've had, was sporting a slippery wheel until some 'dirt' wore into the wheel. When I condition the wheel, it always gets more slippery- you might be making the issue worse by conditioning it right now...

Thanks. I hope it will get better with time. I am just trying to speed up the process. So far the leather conditioner has just made my hands softer, not the wheel. It seems to either just be a very hard leather, or it has some kind of coating on it. Different than the leather wheels on other vehicles I have had. I checked the part number for my VIN and Ford does say it is leather.

Well, Ford "Leather" has never been the best. It's more vinyl-ish than leather IMHO. I would just use it without conditioning the wheel for a bit and it should tack up a little. I wish Ford used a nicer grade of leather. I think their best leather is the King Ranch stuff. The rest of the colored leather is junk.

Back