• Register Today It's free!

Slipping Transmission!!!!

burtonbrd138

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
I have a 2000 Ex with 120,000 miles on it with a 5R55E transmission, i think? (tell me if i am wrong). At around 35 to 40mph (which is where most of my driving is done because i drive around town) my rpms drop down to 1500 rpms when i am cruising at these speeds, and when i apply more pressure on the gas i get this pulsing feeling and my speed slowly increases without the rpms increasing. I have to really stomp on the gas for the rpms to pick up.
-the ATF level is fine
-Just had new ATF put in with new filter 2 months ago

-Do the bands need adjusting?
-New shift soleniod?

HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ya, it feels like the rpms just dont increase like the gas does pedal does not do anything unless i stomp on it.

Do you have a 0-300 PSI pressure gauge to test the pressure on the transmission? You could have hydraulic pressure loss due to a failing EPC solenoid, boost valve, sticking valve body spools, bad valve body gaskets or loose valve body bolts.

no, can i get one at auto zone or some place like that and how much would it be?

From what you described (RPM's not going up while on gas pedal and accelerating) doesn't sound like a slip. A slip is when the RPM's go up a great deal without much power being put out by the drivetrane.

ya true, it is more like a stutter from the tranny without the rpms going up

1500 rpm's at 40mph, tranny is probably in OD at that ratio....the studder/slow acceleration could be the tranny is laboring maybe?

Back