• Register Today It's free!

Slow Fuel Fill Problem

DBray6

Reaction score
City, State
Holiday, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac
I am having a problem with filling the tank on my 03 Sport Trac. I can never pump on fast and if I am able to pump on the first click of the pump when it is full gas splashes out on the ground and down the side of my truck. I found that there is a TSB on this but cannot find the full text of it anywhere I have looked. If anyone here has had the same problem please let me know how you fixed it.

The TSB I found is:
TSB data for: 2003 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC
Bulletin Number: 16761
Sequence Number: 10002653
Date: 20030401
Component Name: 070000 FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Make: FORD
Model: EXPLORER SPORT TRAC
Year: 2003
Summary:
SLOW FUEL FILL CONDITION ON CERTAIN VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 3/3/02. *TT

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '04 does the same thing on certain, older style pumps. I fixed it by avoiding those older pumps, or if that wasn't possible, filling it slowly. From what I've understood, it's the design of the filler neck that causes it, so I'm not sure what exactly can be done to fix it. I'd be interested though if someone knows something about it.

Tom

Here is the TSB. Someone from a pay for help site got it for me. I am going to look into this over the weekend. What is the best way to get water from the vapor canister if that turns out to be the problem?

Thanks again,
David

16761 2002-2003 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC BUILT ON/AFTER 03/04/2002 - SLOW FUEL FILL
SOME 2002-2003 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC BUILT AFTER 3/3/02 MAY EXHIBIT SLOW FUEL FILL.

1ST, CK FOR A DISCONNECTED FUEL VENT HOSE IN THE LT REAR INNER SPLASH APRON.
IF SO, THE APRON HOLE IS TOO LARGE, ALLOWING WATER/CONTAMINATION TO ENTER THROUGH THE VENT HOSE.

SERVICE EVAP SYSTEM TO REMOVE ALL WATER, ETC. FROM THE SYSTEM & REPLACE THE VAPOR CANISTER & THE APRON #1L5Z-9927887-AA.

CK VENT HOSE ALIGNMENT IN FUEL FILLER HOSE BUNDLE TO VERIFY SQUARE ALIGNMENT WITH APRON HOLE. ALIGN & INSTALL VENT HOSE INTO THE APRON.

IF MISFIRE DTC'S (P03XX/P0316) PRESENT, OBTAIN FUEL SAMPLE & CK FOR WATER. SERVICE AS NEEDED & REPLACE THE FUEL VAPOR VALVE (F67Z-9C915-CA).

IF VENT CONNECTION OK, CK FOR:

1. TWISTED FILLER TUBE FROM FILLER PIPE TO TANK- LOOSEN AT TANK & REALIGN TO REMOVE TWIST/KINK.

2. PINCHED VENT/RECIRC HOSE AT THE FRAME-REROUTE AS NEEDED.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 04/16/2003

Fixed!!

I got mine fixed today. I checked the vent hoses per the TSB and all were dry and clean. I dropped the charcoal canisters and checked the connections and they were dry and all hoses were clear and not kinked. I checked the vent hose from the top of the filler to the bigger vent hose and it was clear. I did notice what looked like a very slight twist in the filler hose. I loosened the clamp at the tank and relaxed the twist. It was such a small twist it seemed inconsequential.

After I got everything back together I took it to the gas station and pumped 21 gallons with no problem. I started slow expecting the worst and the pump stayed running, I pumped 5 gallons at a little over half way and still stayed running and didn't hear the sound like fuel backing up in the tube, the last 5 gallons I pumped on almost all the way open at the pump and it amazingly still stayed running! When it clicked off a full I instinctively jumped back expecting the usual shower of gasoline that comes splashing out the filler neck. But to my surprise, not even a drop.

I was really glad that it wasn't the purge valve that I have read so much about on this forum. I am suspecting that the problem was with the filler tube as everything seemed fine upon inspection.

Good luck to anyone else with this problem and it was worth it to me to check it out before spending 60.00 for the purge valve.

Slow filling

I'm have slow filling of my fuel tank. Just some up front info. The Sport trac was rear ended and the right rear frame member had to be replaced. After the reapairs had been made by a Ford collison center, all was ok for a couple of year. I saw the tube hanging by wheel liner but since my daughter drives the Sport Trac I don't see it very often up close. She started complaining about not being able to fill the tank without gas shooting back at her. I took it to my mechanic and he found the evap, canister full of water, due to the tube not being installed correctly. I called the Ford Collison center, and they called teh mechanic. Ok to shorten this, they verifed it was their mistake and replaced the canisters, a nd refunded me the charges my mechanic charged to find the problem. Now it's a few month later and the fuel fill problem is back. I had AutoZone pull the codes and it came back as the Evap problem.
The Tube is and has been in the mounting hole at the wheel liner. I called the dealer and they want to look at it.

I read the post on the service bullitens and want to know do you have to pull the tank to check for a twisted filler tube? Any way to bypass the evap system so the vent works better?

No you don't have to pull the tank to look at the filler tube. It is just below the filler door. It is a large rubber tube that connects between the metal fill tube and the gas tank. I loosened the clamp at the tank side. As far as evap codes, I can't help you there. Mine didn't get the CEL.

Correction! NOT FIXED!

My slow fill problem is not fixed as I previously stated. It seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it fills fine and others, like today, I can't get any in at all. It took about about 10 minutes to get 6 gallons showing on the pump and I probably had 1/2 gallon on the ground from the constant splashing out of the filler tube.

I noticed on the purge valve there is what seems to be a filter or vent. Is it possible for this to become stuck or clogged? I am not getting any CELs. Thanks for any help.

My slow fill problem is not fixed as I previously stated. It seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it fills fine and others, like today, I can't get any in at all. It took about about 10 minutes to get 6 gallons showing on the pump and I probably had 1/2 gallon on the ground from the constant splashing out of the filler tube.

I noticed on the purge valve there is what seems to be a filter or vent. Is it possible for this to become stuck or clogged? I am not getting any CELs. Thanks for any help.

That seems to our problem also, some days are beter than others. I started filling gas cans and pouring it in so I can regulate the flow better.

What is the purge valve and where is it located? I want to check mine.
I may have to buy a manual. Maybe the library has one they had them on my Bronco II. I guess a trip to the library will happen this weekend.

The purge valve is located under the battery in the 03. If my purge valve is bad should I be getting a CEL?

I wish I knew. I'm still old school I like my 65 chevy PU, simple to work on. I really haven't done much on any of the compter controled trucks. I guess I'm going to have to read up on this problem.

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer, started having trouble getting gas in it but it was inconsistant and I thought it was just the different gas stations. About a month ago it started shutting off every 10 seconds while I was trying to fill it up and/or gas would start to come back out while it was occurring. I took it to the dealership and they said there are two known problems, mine was the filler tube and it would have to be replaced. Since it has not been flagged a safety issue they would not repair for free but offered to only charge me 1/2 price. Anyone having this problem needs to contact National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and file a complaint. Once they receive enought complaints their engineers will research the trend and make Ford recall the vehicles or reimburse those who have had to make the repairs.
www.nhtsa.gov or 888-327-4236.

Mine was finally fixed! It ended up being the larger tube that comes up along side the filler tube. Somehow I missed it when I checked the venting hoses before. I clipped the zip strips that hold the tubes together and pulled the tube out from where it elbows up into the fender well. There is only about a 6 inch tube that goes into the fender well. With the gas cap off I tried to blow through the tube and it was very hard to get any air at all through. I then sucked on the tube and felt resistance and then a POP. Air now flows freely back and forth through the tube and when I blow in it I can hear the air entering the gas tank. I just filled up today for the second time since this fix with no problem at all.

DBray6- completely over my head but I'm printing what you said for good old dad to look at. He took my 94 mustang apart to replace the blown head gasket the year before Ford was forced to recall it........surely he can figure this out???

Mine was finally fixed! It ended up being the larger tube that comes up along side the filler tube. Somehow I missed it when I checked the venting hoses before. I clipped the zip strips that hold the tubes together and pulled the tube out from where it elbows up into the fender well. There is only about a 6 inch tube that goes into the fender well. With the gas cap off I tried to blow through the tube and it was very hard to get any air at all through. I then sucked on the tube and felt resistance and then a POP. Air now flows freely back and forth through the tube and when I blow in it I can hear the air entering the gas tank. I just filled up today for the second time since this fix with no problem at all.

Wow I'm glad I found you, this seams to be an on going problem for a lot of us. Now if I may ask need a bit more of a detailed write up on how to fix this problem, pictures of what and where this hoses is would kick ass too! So I/we can get a better picture in our heads. :salute: Cheers and Thanks!

The tube we are talking about is the one on the right near the fuel fill tube. You can see where there used to be a zip tie that I clipped off.
DSCF1543.jpg

This is where the tube enters the fender well splash guard at the top. After you remove the zip ties that hold the three tubes together this will pull right out at the elbow.
DSCF1544.jpg

This is what it looks like after you pull it out. Mine was much dirtier but I cleaned it off as I was going to be putting my mouth on it. After cleaning, make sure the gas cap is removed and simply blow into the tube if you can blow through the tube and you hear air going into the gas tank, this would probably not be your problem. When I blew into mine I could barely get any air through at all. I then sucked on the tube hoping not to get a mouth full of anything and I was rewarded with what I can only explain as a pop like a seal popping. Air then flowed freely back and forth and I could hear the air movement in the gas tank. I had no problem gassing up. BUT.... on the next tank I had the same problem and the first thing I checked at the gas station was this tube and it was plugged up again. I probably looked funny sucking on the tube at the pump but it only took a second and it was clear and fueled fine. I just gassed up yesterday and it filled perfectly and I didn't have to unclog the tube this time. I have left the zip strips off in case I have to do it again in the near future but so far it looks good.

An easy fix to a frustrating problem. I hope this helps you.
DSCF1545.jpg

The tube we are talking about is the one on the right near the fuel fill tube. You can see where there used to be a zip tie that I clipped off.
DSCF1543.jpg

This is where the tube enters the fender well splash guard at the top. After you remove the zip ties that hold the three tubes together this will pull right out at the elbow.
DSCF1544.jpg

This is what it looks like after you pull it out. Mine was much dirtier but I cleaned it off as I was going to be putting my mouth on it. After cleaning, make sure the gas cap is removed and simply blow into the tube if you can blow through the tube and you hear air going into the gas tank, this would probably not be your problem. When I blew into mine I could barely get any air through at all. I then sucked on the tube hoping not to get a mouth full of anything and I was rewarded with what I can only explain as a pop like a seal popping. Air then flowed freely back and forth and I could hear the air movement in the gas tank. I had no problem gassing up. BUT.... on the next tank I had the same problem and the first thing I checked at the gas station was this tube and it was plugged up again. I probably looked funny sucking on the tube at the pump but it only took a second and it was clear and fueled fine. I just gassed up yesterday and it filled perfectly and I didn't have to unclog the tube this time. I have left the zip strips off in case I have to do it again in the near future but so far it looks good.

An easy fix to a frustrating problem. I hope this helps you.
DSCF1545.jpg

Lots of suckin and blowin you single:D I had to do it could not resist, don't judge me.

Lots of suckin and blowin you single:D I had to do it could not resist, don't judge me.

:D I expected that. I couldn't think of any other way to explain it.

I think what you found is the problem I'm haveing also. If someone has the manual, or a gas tank out of the truck, could you see if there is a check valve in the hose. It would make sense that there would be one, to keep dirt and water from getting back into the tank. Maybe a little fuel line cleaner poured into it , then lower the tube to drain may free it up, or maybe a new check valve may be in order.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back