Smoother Ride Limited or Sport? Cool seats worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoother Ride Limited or Sport? Cool seats worth it?

CowboyRog

Reaction score
City, State
Gilroy, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Sport 401a
I want a smooth ride and wondering what the consensus is on smoothness of ride between the Sport and Limited.
Have driven both for about 10 miles and the Limited seemed smoother but I keep reading that the Sport is the right choice for ride comfort.
What is your experience?

Also the cool seat seemed really COOL and it worked really well during the test ride. Do you like your cool seats?
Thanks
RC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want a smooth ride and wondering what the consensus is on smoothness of ride between the Sport and Limited.
Have driven both for about 10 miles and the Limited seemed smoother but I keep reading that the Sport is the right choice for ride comfort.
What is your experience?

Also the cool seat seemed really COOL and it worked really well during the test ride. Do you like your cool seats?
Thanks
RC
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Looking at your profile it seems that you have already decided on the Sport. I would say that the Limited would probably have a smoother ride since the Sport has a stiffer tuned suspension and also sits a little lower.
As for the cooled seats, I've only had my Platinum since the end of October and have not yet had a reason to use them. There are several threads on that item already. There is a 'Search' feature in the upper right that you should familiarize yourself with. It may take a little practice but it is very handy for finding existing topics. There really isn't much that hasn't already been discussed here.

Peter

thanks for the info. Just not sure if I want to put up with the real world 18 mpg with the Sport compared to the 20-21 with regular V6 engine. Gas wont be this cheap forever and the difference will add up IF gas goes to $4 a gal. But really like the extra power.
As my friends say you want to play you got to pay.
RC

The regular 3.5 gets better mpgs than you think. Here is mine after doing 65-70 mph from Cincinnati to Nashville:

mpg.jpg

I got 16mpg combined city/hwy + or - .2 MPG on both turbo and non turbo versions in awd (yes point two mpg difference and yes my shoes are lead weighted) . The non turbo 3.5 felt quick and the turbo version didn't feel much quicker to me. The non turbo stock 3.5 AWD got 0-60 in 7.2 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 15.74 at 93.3. I can get a time on the stock turbo vehicle in the same setting to compare.
I didn't notice much of a difference in ride either, not kidding. I would just buy what you like since you have driven both, its kind of like watching someone argue Ford or Chebby is better than the other. To really save gas you would need a 4cyl in 2wd.
If you plan on "possibly" voiding your warranty and plan on adding more power with a tuner then get the turbo version for sure.

I love the smooth ride and comfort of my Platinum. With leather, cool seats are great if for nothing else they keep you from sweating while wearing shorts for example. Also, why not use remote start in the summer as well as the winter? It's nice to get into a cool vehicle with cool seats since climate control will tune them on for you.

Curious, is anyone using the remote windows down from the fob? I choose accessory delay over windows down since you can't have both options at the same time.

I love the smooth ride and comfort of my Platinum. With leather, cool seats are great if for nothing else they keep you from sweating while wearing shorts for example. Also, why not use remote start in the summer as well as the winter? It's nice to get into a cool vehicle with cool seats since climate control will tune them on for you.

Curious, is anyone using the remote windows down from the fob? I choose accessory delay over windows down since you can't have both options at the same time.

I'm confused by this because it sounds like you are saying you have to turn off accessory delay. Accessory delay doesn't have to be disabled it just can't be active when trying the remote windows. Accessory delay is inactive when you open the door after ignition being turned off. Very few instances where accessory delay will be active when you try to roll the windows down using the fob.

I'm confused by this because it sounds like you are saying you have to turn off accessory delay. Accessory delay doesn't have to be disabled it just can't be active when trying the remote windows. Accessory delay is inactive when you open the door after ignition being turned off. Very few instances where accessory delay will be active when you try to roll the windows down using the fob.

Okay, I had it wrong :)

Still couldn't get the moonroof to vent

From the manual:

GLOBAL OPENING
You can use the remote control to open the windows and vent the moonroof with the ignition off.

Note: You can enable or disable this feature in the information display, or see an authorized dealer. See General Information.

Note: To operate this feature, accessory delay must not be active.

Remote Control Front Windows

You can open the windows for a short time after you unlock your vehicle with the remote control. After you unlock your vehicle, press and hold the remote control unlock button to open the windows. Release the button once movement starts. Press the lock or unlock button to stop movement.

Moonroof
You can vent the moonroof after you unlock your vehicle with the remote control. After you unlock your vehicle, press and hold the remote control unlock button to vent the moonroof. Release the button once movement starts. Press the lock or unlock button to stop movement.

May want to have that looked at, because the moonroof and window motors all get the same signal to open. If the moonroof isn't working when the other windows open then you may have a broken wire.

May want to have that looked at, because the moonroof and window motors all get the same signal to open. If the moonroof isn't working when the other windows open then you may have a broken wire.

After further research the option is to open the moonroof is not always available.

We had our first hot spell yesterday, at about 104F and while my arse was frozen, the cooled seats did nothing for the lower back.
Definitely have to get the EX in for the TSB ASAP.

After further research the option is to open the moonroof is not always available.
I enabled global windows open/clost on my EX and the sunroof does not vent.

Using the fob to lock and then unlock the vehicle and then pressing the unlock button the front windows open. Moonroof does nothing. I just hope that the next update on this feature is a true Global Open/Close like what I had before, that also allows you to close the windows.

Peter

Any of the non-sports have a smoother ride due to the suspension difference and also if you go with the 18" wheels instead of 20". The trade off is worse handling, particularly cornering at very high speed.

I have just the regular 3.5 and get about 16 mpg, but I drive pretty hard and mine is one of the older models. The ride is really smooth even after all these years (mines a 2012). I can't tell you much about the sport because I've never driven one. Anytime someone gets in my car for the first time, their reaction is usually something like, "Wow this is so nice and smooth for a Ford!"

The cooled seats are an ok feature. I don't really use them because it sounds like another A/C in my car. They're pretty loud when they're turned on. Also, I don't know if there were any improvements made to them in 2016 to make them more quite, etc.... I did see that for the 16 and 17 models, when you turn heated or cooled seats on and then turn the car off, and then turn the car back on, the seats still remain on. This was a much needed improvement because 2015 and below, the seats turn off when the ignition is turned off, which is another reason I don't use them (I usually forget to turn them on again when I get back in the car).

Good info... still no decision on my part but getting closer to going with just the regular V6.
Keep the info coming and thanks for taking the time to reply.
RC

The regular 3.5 gets better mpgs than you think. Here is mine after doing 65-70 mph from Cincinnati to Nashville:

mpg.jpg

Wow I drove about 800 miles down 95 going 70-75 MPH and got 5 MPG less. Same mileage on the clock too. Mine also doesn't show how many gallons I've used, must be a Limited or pre-refresh thing?

Wow I drove about 800 miles down 95 going 70-75 MPH and got 5 MPG less. Same mileage on the clock too. Mine also doesn't show how many gallons I've used, must be a Limited or pre-refresh thing?
I believe Ford did away with the amount used and replaced it with amount left which I think is a bit more important. The Manual describes the various cluster types and the info displayed.

Peter

mpg.jpg

I have to ask. You state you were going 65-70MPH, but according to the math, it's closer to 55MPH average speed. Was there construction or long waits at lights and such?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to ask. You state you were going 65-70MPH, but according to the math, it's closer to 55MPH average speed. Was there construction or long waits at lights and such?

His situation is probably similar to mine, that I don't start a trip on the interstate because I didn't stop and park it there at the end of the last trip. ;)

Back