• Register Today It's free!

"Snow" and iced roads

Exploder850

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
As a Floridian we are not prepared for these types of freezing conditions. Northwest Panhandle of Florida is completely frozen. Any tips from those up North or out west on how to drive on Icy roads? I own a 2wd equipped with General Grabber AT2. I was going up an Incline just fine until I had to stop, after that I lost all traction. Probably didn't help that my tank was a quarter full so I was missing some weight. Does dropping it into a lower gear any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a Floridian we are not prepared for these types of freezing conditions. Northwest Panhandle of Florida is completely frozen. Any tips from those up North or out west on how to drive on Icy roads? I own a 2wd equipped with General Grabber AT2. I was going up an Incline just fine until I had to stop, after that I lost all traction. Probably didn't help that my tank was a quarter full so I was missing some weight. Does dropping it into a lower gear any help?

Nothing will get traction on ice unless you have spikes... Id imagine those grabbers would do well in the snow.

You'll do well as long as you don't let the wheels spin. Stay easy on the pedal when accelerating and especially while already moving, avoid uneccesary lane changes and when making sharper turns you just gonna simply have to slow way down BEFORE you make the turn not during it. My 0.02 good luck take it ez.

On a side note, if you have decent mud.snow tires and a clear path with little to no turning and no other traffic around. Hands 10 and 2 and ride it! Your actually better off with 3 or 5 inches of snow cover than an inch or less. Because the snow itself is the traction.

good luck

Nothing will get traction on ice unless you have spikes... Id imagine those grabbers would do well in the snow.

You'll do well as long as you don't let the wheels spin. Stay easy on the pedal when accelerating and especially while already moving, avoid uneccesary lane changes and when making sharper turns you just gonna simply have to slow way down BEFORE you make the turn not during it. My 0.02 good luck take it ez.

On a side note, if you have decent mud.snow tires and a clear path with little to no turning and no other traffic around. Hands 10 and 2 and ride it! Your actually better off with 3 or 5 inches of snow cover than an inch or less. Because the snow itself is the traction.

good luck

Exactly.

With 2wd take routes that don't involve Hills. I have good a terrains and living in a valley there are probably 50% of the back roads I can't get up in 2wd when the roads are bad. Light in the pedal. Stab the gas and you will be sliding sideways quick... That being said you can learn to control it and it's fine. Just go slow and watch our for people that don't care or know how to drive in snow at all.

Around here, some people know to wait at the bottom of a hill until the person in front makes it all the way up. Once you stop, you're screwed.

Around here, some people know to wait at the bottom of a hill until the person in front makes it all the way up. Once you stop, you're screwed.

Yep. You never want to stop on a hill and if you see someone stop, reverse yourself if you can. They are soon to start sliding down in most cases

Keep the gas steady, and as previously stated DON'T stop on hills. Be prepared for stops to become slides. I.E. don't tailgate. Keep plenty of room between you and the other monkies on the road, this helps too, when the guy behind you brakes to late. Gives you room to move. The biggest problem with the last storm here in GA, was everyone drove like it was sunny and dry. Everyone tailgated. IDIOTS! So when someone stopped and got stuck, they had no way to manuever around them.
Stop at the bottom of hills, especially when traffic is already headed that way. Don't take a hill until you know the person ahead of you has already cleared it. Once you head up a hill, don't stop keep a steady pace.
Keep in mind that roads still turn though you won't. Take turns that are slippery real slow. I saw a ton of people plow into curbs because they thought the could take it at more than 5 mph on ice.
Now, 3 years from now, when this happens again, just remember all of this.

I know this post is a month old but after the recent snow and ice here, I would like to add that even those with 4 wheel or all wheel drive may be able to go, but that doesn't mean they can stop or turn as well as dry conditions. I see more people get in trouble here with 4wd than I do the 2 wheelers. Because they are idiots and drive retarded because they can get moving on the stuff. Just too many idiots collected in a small area lol. That being said, a lot of idiots here can't drive in good weather either....

Back