solid axle conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

solid axle conversion

hey guys, ive been reading alot on all of your solid axle conversions, and im going to do one as well but had some questions first. im using full size 8.8 and dana 44s with leaf springs up front, and was wondering what lift springs would give me about 6 inches of lift so i dont have to get new driveshafts. after i get the axle in what do i do about steering? drop pitman arm with linkage from stock truck? any info would help. also the 44 has drum breaks and i was wondering what kind of break lines i would have to get with the 6 inch lift? thanks so much for any info.

1) You will need a new front driveshaft.

2) You will have to play with leaf springs until you find what you want. Different setups warrent different springs. You need to design your brackets around a spring or pick your springs based on your brackets. No one can tell you definitively.

3) A dropped pitman arm will help. The linkage from the stock axle may work, but will probably suck.

4) Drums suck. Convert them to discs and then you will probably need to pick a line that will bolt to the caliper and then put a new fitting on the hard line to connect it.

I can only begin to imagine how many axle shafts you have broken with those 38s. Good luck with your SAS.

thanks for the info guys. yeah, i would like to convert them to discs, but i dont know if i have the budget to do that right now, i would like to get them put in first and then i can upgrade from there. also, im getting a full size 8.8 (open) and was wondering if the carrier from my old 8.8 with limited slip would work, cause then i can use my locker by just swapping them? if not ill just have to get another locker.
actually i havent broken any axle shafts, just one hub so far, down at uwharrie.

lets see a pic of this X

Back