Solid AXLE SWAP (IM BACK!!!!!!!!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid AXLE SWAP (IM BACK!!!!!!!!)

Well sorry I havn't posted in so long. Well here it is. Oh
and just in case your wondering, ya I will have updated photo's for my external/internal roll cage cut off the roof
project in no more than two weeks (that's when it should be finished.

Now I have been doing some offroading here lately and have had some bad luck, includin vreaking three hubs then two axles. So after I got frustrated I did something horrible, its called starting a new project without finishing the first one, but what the hell.

I am installing a front dana 44 / high pinion axle assembly with a spool/ oh and don't forget 5.13 gears in the front out of a full size 1979 F-150, and a Ford 9 Inch diff in the rear / with a spool / 5.13 gears. Last but not least I will not be cutting down the axles, I will be running full wifth axles ( only adds 3 inches on each side).

here are the pics

9352fx1.jpg

9352fx2.jpg

9352fx4.jpg

9352fx5.jpg

9352fx6.jpg

9352fx3.jpg

9352fx8.jpg

9352fx9.jpg

9352fx10.jpg

9352fx12.jpg

9352fx13.jpg

9352fx15.jpg

9352fx16.jpg

9352fx17.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any of you dallas guys who wanna go, im about 2.5 hours east of Dallas. HotSprings is about 1.5 hours north of me. if i need be, any of yall can crash at my house the night before and we can run up the next morning. dont be scared, i dont bite. :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Latest Pics and I"DONE WITH ALL FRONT SUSPENSION now install the gears!!!

First off here is my homemade spring perches for the coil springs up front
9352fx28.jpg
9352fx29.jpg

And here they are installed
9352fx30.jpg
9352fx31.jpg
9352fx34.jpg

Next here is my crossmember I made..
9352fx35.jpg

Here is the track bar I modified (cut it 3 1/2 inches and cut three pieces of 2x2 corner then welded it back together and added corners one at a time full welds all the around the corner until it made a perfect triangle.) I'm telling ya thats one part that aint breaking.
9352fx38.jpg

Well here is the track bar installed (notice it is perfectly parallel with drag link to prevent excessive bump steer).
9352fx39.jpg

And here is the crossmember installed
9352fx36.jpg

here are the final looks of the suspension completed
9352fx40.jpg
9352fx41.jpg

you better brace that tracbar bracket.......

It is braced, from the other side there is another pieces of .140 wall steel wrapping around the frame and welded.:D

Here's more pics I just finished the front!

9352fx42.jpg
9352fx43.jpg
9352fx44.jpg
9352fx45.jpg
9352fx46.jpg

All I got left to do is put the diff cover on and fill it with fluid.

And now tomarrow the rear (finally the easy part).:D

Looks great! I think the full width actually fits better than EB style because it looks like the springs are straight up and down and not inward slightly like the EB SAS's.

I was just thinking where I could get a clear front diff cover like yours! :)

Ok I got the 9 inch ready, so here we go, I'll have pics in about 5 hours showing the completed rear of the vehicle.

Ok the rear is done, I'm finished with the Conversion!

here is the one coming out ( 8.8)
9352fx47.jpg

here is the one going in ( 9 inch )
9352fx48.jpg

Here is my driveshaft customization (had to extend it 3 inches)
9352fx49.jpg

9352fx50.jpg

And now I'm almost done
9352fx51.jpg
9352fx52.jpg

Now to install the winch and recess it back to give me a better approach angle.

9352fx54.jpg
9352fx55.jpg
9352fx57.jpg

My approach angle is now significantly improved by moving the whole axle housing up three inches and moving my winch back 10 inches. So there it is I'm done, Now I have to finish that roll cage.:D :D :D
9352fx56.jpg

Very nice. I cant wait to see it in person. Make sure you hold on to my parts :)

Turned out really nice, looks mean too!

I still have your parts Brian. LOL:D

Don't worry man tell B.J. I will still hold em, let me know when your ready to install it and I'll give it to ya, but let me know when he can make his first payment, its still workable.

that is the best looking x iv seen. so what is the lotal lift and tire size

tou think it was easyr to move the front coils in than to move upper coil buckets out? that truck is sick its what mine is going to look like when im done with the front. hows it flex are you gonna cut some of the fender

Ive already cut some fender, and yes I felt it was easier to keep the coils and shocks relitively in the same place and make coil pads the relocate the springs on the diff instead of the frame. I was gonna have to make the pads anyways so I figured that was better then relocating the top. It articulates extremely well, so much that I had to cut my driveshaft and extended quite a bit. I also attached chains from the frame to the front diff to prevent it from loosing a spring from overextending. Thnx for the compliment and the front springs are Explorer Springs 5.5 inch superlift kit springs, however they give you about 7.5 inches with this suspension set up in front, the rear I just performed a spring over axle (SOA) to give me about 6.5 inches, don't forget I also have a 3 inch body lift. I am now running 36x12.50 super swampers since I got some more meet in my axles and diff. I also have 5.13 gears and full spools front and rear so I have all four tires going non stop.:D

Hmmmm very interesting that yo were able to use your 5.5"" superlift coils. What did you do with the shock and attachment to the RA?

you said that you moved the axle up 3" how does this line up with the old buckets on the frame? so is it the same wheel base it was stock?

the springs tilt just a hair forward when you look at them but as they compress they straighten out.

To Alaskan , the shocks bolted right up to the F-150 axle housing in a similiar manner putting them at about a 10 degree slant towards the mounting points.:D

Good job, looks great.

Looks like you did some work to your tranny cooler too?

What I want to know is HOW does it drive? with the coils in that far on the axle and with the Superlift coils?

Back