2008 Explorer XLT transmission electrical codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer XLT transmission electrical codes

Michaelbowman86

Reaction score
City, State
Stokesdale, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ford explorer xlt4x4
Ever since we got it (used), it would randomly hesitate to go into reverse and the wrench would pop on intermittently while driving but it has never caused a driving issue (it would pop up soon as you started it sometimes other times you wouldn't see it for weeks)... Then last October it went to limp mode, check engine light never cut on just the wrench and even after powering it off and disconnecting the battery over night the wrench wouldn't go away... I ended up buying a Ford scan tool so I could read the transmission codes, p0750 p0753 p0755 p0758 p0760 p0763 p0765 p0768... All electrical codes pointing at the shift selnoid pack which I have changed. I reset the trans code and it drove great for about 30 miles and the wrench popped back up an f went into limp mode. The same codes came up for the transmission. When I changed the selnoid pack I also changed the fluid to correct level and changed the filter (no metal shavings in fluid or inside the filter).. I've checked the fuse, and the pins to the plug that goes to pack, nothing looks corroded (where ac line drips condensation directly on the plug) and pin 3 and the fuse is getting power... Funny thing is I can reset the codes with my tool and it'll drive and shift just fine for around 5-10miles then it starts acting up again and the wrench will pop back up with same codes which I can pull over reset it and go another 5-10 miles... This has been driving me crazy! I have seen a few post that describe the same issue with the same make and model online on multiple platforms BUT no fixes for it... Anyone got any tips or solutions?? I'd take any advice here!!

IMG_20211021_154415.jpg IMG_20211021_154426.jpg IMG_20211021_154418.jpg IMG_20211021_154424.jpg IMG_20211021_154421.jpg IMG_20211021_154420.jpg IMG_20211021_154423.jpg IMG_20211021_154417.jpg

OK, I'm pretty good at electrical.

Without a diagram in front of me, I'll bet that ALL of those wires go into the transmission at the bulkhead connector. Further to that, I'd bet they all use the same ground.

Try to see if you can locate the ground for those circuits - if it a shared ground, you will want to test the integrity of that ground. You're getting power on both sides of the fuse, you may also want to see if you are actually getting power at the transmission.

The other possibility is to see if this is a connector problem. You'll want to get Forscan on a laptop, so you can see all of the data, and then wiggle the wiring harness at the bulkhead connector, and see if you can see readings jumping or going haywire.

It's REALLY odd for all of these to have a problem when you have already changed the solenoid pack. Hell, it's really odd to have all of these all go out at once even on an old one unless you have a power or ground concern.

Tim

OK, I'm pretty good at electrical.

Without a diagram in front of me, I'll bet that ALL of those wires go into the transmission at the bulkhead connector. Further to that, I'd bet they all use the same ground.

Try to see if you can locate the ground for those circuits - if it a shared ground, you will want to test the integrity of that ground. You're getting power on both sides of the fuse, you may also want to see if you are actually getting power at the transmission.

The other possibility is to see if this is a connector problem. You'll want to get Forscan on a laptop, so you can see all of the data, and then wiggle the wiring harness at the bulkhead connector, and see if you can see readings jumping or going haywire.

It's REALLY odd for all of these to have a problem when you have already changed the solenoid pack. Hell, it's really odd to have all of these all go out at once even on an old one unless you have a power or ground concern.

Tim
I'm dealing with a similar issue. Where would I find the wiring harness at the bulkhead? Passenger side, driver's side? Up high? Down low?

Back