Sony MEX-1GP deck??

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
anybody have any expierence with this deck? its only 200 bucks but u can remove the deck, hook it up to your computer and upload up to 1 gigs of music onto it? i really need a deck that plays mp3's or a deck that wont skip under VERY EXTREME conditions, i.e. jumpin my truck and what not, i dont have a ipod, and i never fell into the apple craze so i think something like this would be cool!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S2BZRUixTI4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=158MEX1GP

h158MEX1GP-o_mt.jpg

h158MEX1GP-f_IDS.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Sony anything with car audio. 1 gig won't hold a whole lot of music, but it all depends on what you want to pay. A friend of mine just picked up a Kenwood head unit with a USB port in the front (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TVSgiOXFrfJ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=113KDCX491) so you can hook up any mp3 player you have with that cord. That's a little cheaper than the Sony one and it's high quality. If you have the money to buy a decent Creative mp3 player (probably the best players next to the iPods from my experience), then you should consider that.

Yeah my buddy has a JVC with the USB 2.0 input, works awesome. A gig will roughly hold around 200 songs. Because I used to max out cds that were 740Mb at around 160 songs. It'll get full quick considering you'll want to put every one of your cd's on it so you'll never have to switch cd's again, or worry about them skipping...right?

thanks for the advice guys. any other decks out there that will hold music, i really dont want to be hooking up a mp3 player. i want a standalone deck. any suggestions? why not sony?

Sony has a reputation for having low quality car audio parts. They tend to break easily in different ways and the customer support is pretty crummy from what I've heard.

As for other units that hold music, I honestly don't know. I've never heard of a head unit that acts as an mp3 player before this really, your best bet is to do more research on them to see what's out there.

I've got this stereo myself, and I think it's awesome. Sure, 1 Gb isn't much, but you can fill that, and since it reads Mp3, you can have the rest of the music on Mp3-disc's.

I personally think Sony's cd playback quality is awesome-and I always associate Sony with being a good, , quality company which is also very innovative. In fact, sony pretty much dictates which medium the market will use in the future-
they (along with phillips) invented cd's you know-:thumbsup:

I'd probably try that unit-

Kenwwod makes a "music keg" which is a removable mp3 "cassette" you can load music to with your PC

i dont have a ipod, and i never fell into the apple craze so i think something like this would be cool!

i ended up getting a ipod touch with a deck that supports it:)

Back