Sounds like a loud vacuum in the intake? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sounds like a loud vacuum in the intake?

matt_w_maclean

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Started 2 days ago, after driving the truck for about 30 kms there is a loud noise from the filter box. Sounds like a loud vacuum and you can hear it if you where standing 10 feet away. I took it to the local ford dealer and they removed the intake hose and it was still doing it, so the intake hose was not blocked, he then said I must have a plugged cat or there is a vac leak some place, the weird thing is when you put your hand infront of the intake it's forcing air out and not sucking in? The truck is not over heating and there is no loss of power. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Also, I don't believe the engine would still be running if it air is blowing out the intake. Check all the vacuum lines for leaks. Does the engine idle erratically or are the RPM's constant?

IAC
Search it. 1,000s of threads on that quick easy fix.
Pretty common problem.

Slick video Jon.

LOL yea that's cool should have that posted as a sticky

good video, i had a guy come into autozone with that the other day and couldnt figure out wtf it was. the oddest noise.....

Started 2 days ago, after driving the truck for about 30 kms there is a loud noise from the filter box. Sounds like a loud vacuum and you can hear it if you where standing 10 feet away. I took it to the local ford dealer and they removed the intake hose and it was still doing it, so the intake hose was not blocked, he then said I must have a plugged cat or there is a vac leak some place, the weird thing is when you put your hand infront of the intake it's forcing air out and not sucking in? The truck is not over heating and there is no loss of power. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before.
Yes I experienced this same thing on my 2000 explorer,5.0 . Loud roaring noise coming from air filter box. It's the air control valve. Clean it with some carb cleaner and tooth brush or something you can get in there where valve is where it can move freely and your fixed for awhile. Save fuel and shifts better. It won't last long so plan on ordering one . Best thing I ever done

Back