vacuum or intake leak

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
I have a 97 sport with the sohc 4.0. i think i have a vacuum leak, although i dont see a hose disconnected or i have a leak from the upper intake. it doesnt seem to run any worse. i can just hear the sucking sound. And when i rev it quick there is a slight hesitation with a loud sucking sound, although im not sure thats related, sounds like its the air intake somewhere. Is there any issues that could happen if i dont fix it soon?

would driving with this leak cause any damage. i can tell i have one. it feels like i need a tune up. just seems not to be running as smooth. If it can wait til next week that would be great cuz its gonna be in the 60s(its in the 30s now)

Check the PCV. You can spray carb cleaner around areas you think are leaking and if you hear a change in rpm then you found the leak.

Driving it really wont hurt anything if it is a vacuum leak.

i think the pcv is the part that gets replaced for free at 60k? if so im waiting, cuz i have 56k on it now, and im gonna use the carb cleaner trick when i get a chance, thanks. i was just makin sure i wasnt causing any damage.

Back