Spare tire carrier bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare tire carrier bolt

Anybody know a source for the spare tire carrier bolt?
I want a bolt with 19mm head do that the lug wrench will fit.
Resellers like LMC truck sell A Bolt that fits the carrier clip but does not have the right size head on the bolt.
Thanks for any adice/link.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year? There’s no bolts to remove to get the spare out of a 2nd gen.

It’s not a bolt, it uses the hook that’s normally stored behind the covers for the back seat. You wouldn’t be able to use a regular wrench on it.

Have you checked the manual for how it’s supposed to come out?

It’s not a bolt, it uses the hook that’s normally stored behind the covers for the back seat. You wouldn’t be able to use a regular wrench on it.

Yes. I have the manual. There is a carrier that tilts down. On that carrier the spare rides. But the carrier itself bolts to a bracket than hangs from the rear of the frame. Remove that bolt and the whole carrier pivots down.

Sorry.....I'm talking about a '97 Ranger, not Exporer.

What’s the thread size?

I’ll see what I have at the gettin’ spot tonight.

OK, thanks. That combo of diameter/thread pitch with 19mm head is difficult to find. But the Shop Manual def. says the bolt should be removed using the OEM lug wrench supplied with 97 Ranger.
The OEM clip nut supplied by Ford is
M12 1.75 pitch thread

I would just make it. It’d just be easier to start with a 19mm hex as opposed to making one.

The other alternative, of course, is to replace the clip nut with another one to match any bolt with a 19mm head.

Are you sure that’s not a standard configuration? Here’s a 12x1.75x35mm and it’s got a 19mm hex. Stainless, of course.

4A5F391F-6B33-4E2F-A866-9103003D84CA.jpeg

Also a 3/4" on a 4 way lug wrench fits 19mm bolt head...

Yes. SAE 3/4" flange head would be close enough. But the problem is that the clip-nut is metric diameter and pitch. With the millions of Rangers out there, it seems odd that the OEM spec bolt with 19mm flange head is difficult to find. The OEM clip nut is still available online in Ford new-old stock in a few places online.

Weld a 3/4" nut to the head of the metric bolt...

There’s no need to weld anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if these flange bolts have a 19mm hex.

Back