2" receiver tiltable spare tire carrier for under $120 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2" receiver tiltable spare tire carrier for under $120

After thinkering a long time about a smart and cheap spare wheel carrier, I finally came up with a IMHO good solution.

Here are the ingredients:
One HiddenHitch spare tire carrier part #HH5441.
http://www.hitch-web.com/HiddenHitch/accessories.htm
One Masterbuilt Folding Receiver Bar, either part # HF or HFTB, depending whether you also need a ball mount or not Dead Link Removed

I took the HiddenHitch tire carrier and saw off the horizontal bar. I drilled a 5/8 hole in the vertical bar and mated it to the Masterbuilt Folding Receiver Bar.

It's really easy to make, fairly cheap -about $ 70 for the tire carrier and $ 40 for the folding receiver (HFTB costs less at www.cabelas.com part # AC- 52-0358) - works great - take out one bolt with safety pin and the spare wheel tilts to the back letting you open the rear hatch - requires no drilling and can be put on or completely taken off your vehicle in about 5 minutes without any ugly hardware remaining.

The only draw-back is that, like all trailer hitches, it's not really favorable to your departure angle, specially if you use the one with ball mount as I did. But it's not too bad.

Unluckily I don't have a digital camera nor a photopoint or similar account, therefore I can't take or post any pictures.

nice

Say, thats a killer idea! The only problem would be as you say, a regular class III hitch plus this setup sticking out the back would have some serious departure angle disadvantages- BUT -James Duff makes rear tubular bumpers with 2" hitches! I'm sure a 2" receiver mount could also be welded in or on other bumpers to at least help raise the mounting point. I also think something could either be fabbed or a current fold-down carrier (say a yakima bike rack) could be modified to hold a spare and skip needing both the spare holder and a fold-down adapter.

Thanks for doing the research and the suggestion! I've been looking for a way to carry a spare on the trail besides strapping it up top or having to get a swing-away bumper mount welded on. This is perfect!

I'm happy you like it

I think with using the Masterbuilt Folding Receiver Bar # HF and bobbing the lower edge, the effect to the departure angle will not be too bad. But you are right; the higher up your receiver the better.

Originally posted by Anime4x4
... James Duff makes rear tubular bumpers with 2" hitches! I'm sure a 2" receiver mount could also be welded in or on other bumpers to at least help raise the mounting point....!

Wallmart :eek: has a 2" receiver that is thought to be bolted to truck bumpers. Otherwise, most trailer or truck accessorie places should have or be able to order receiver tubes; just be carefull that they do order the one with the 2" inside and not 2" exterior; some of these clerks are completely lost when if you explain them what you want to fab and can't just give'em a item number :rolleyes:

... I also think something could either be fabbed or a current fold-down carrier (say a yakima bike rack) could be modified to hold a spare and skip needing both the spare holder and a fold-down adapter.!

That's where I started, but I did not find a solution that would not involve welding - and I don't have access to a welder (makes me wonder about the kind of friends I have ;) ) and I think it would get more expensve.

An other bothering detail is relocating the license plate w/ligths.

If you can make something from scratch, you probably will be better off. Rick (Bionic Marshmellow) made a great tire carrier that mounts directly to the vehicle by himself; you might want to contact him!

Back