• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire Rod

Melon

Reaction score
City, State
Blair, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT 5.0
I discovered that the "drop rod" to get the spare tire down is missing. How interchangeable are they? Can I get one from any 95-01 or do I need to get closer to 2000?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I discovered that the "drop rod" to get the spare tire down is missing. How interchangeable are they? Can I get one from any 95-01 or do I need to get closer to 2000?

Thanks

I think they're all the same. I grabbed the first one I found at the junkyard (they're actually pretty hard to find) and it worked fine on my 96.

are you sure its missing? there in two different locations.. one part in the compartment in the back. if your standing by the tailgate its in the compartment to your left. then there is another piece behind the backseat under that flap that hides the metal and stuff.. it fooled me at first too..

i think i have a spare tire crank rod (2 separate pieces as i recall) off a 2000 XLT. if you're interested PM me and i'll go hunt for it. as far as i know all the Gen II's should be the same.

BTW, on a 2000 XLT the 2 pieces are supposed to be behind the rear seat held into plastic clips. fold down the rear seat and lift the spring-loaded cover panel to access this area. the lug wrench doubles as the crank handle and lives on the back of the jack cover trim piece.

Edit: i checked and i do have the rod(s) and even a spare lug wrench handle. if all you need are the rods, they should easily fit in a shipping tube.

i think i have a spare tire crank rod (2 separate pieces as i recall) off a 2000 XLT. if you're interested PM me and i'll go hunt for it. as far as i know all the Gen II's should be the same.

BTW, on a 2000 XLT the 2 pieces are supposed to be behind the rear seat held into plastic clips. fold down the rear seat and lift the spring-loaded cover panel to access this area. the lug wrench doubles as the crank handle and lives on the back of the jack cover trim piece.

Edit: i checked and i do have the rod(s) and even a spare lug wrench handle. if all you need are the rods, they should easily fit in a shipping tube.
Many years later...Is it the same as the one on a 98? The 2 piece rod, one of the pieces has a little fork on the end that partly broke off. Do you still have that?

Back