Spare Tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire

My spare tire has gone missing, as has the bracket to hold a new one against the undercarriage (shredded where it's missing).

So, a couple questions.. I assume I'll need to replace the spare tire winch assembly (sounds like it's easier than replacing cable/bracket). How much do they typically run? Or if anyone has an extra laying around, let me know...

Also, what's the best option for a wheel? I see an inexpensive one online for about $60. I'm planning to get a tire identical to the ones I currently have. Is that necessary? Not a huge price difference between that and the cheap ones, so may just go ahead and do it, but thought someone told me a while back all 4 had to be the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should atleast be the same diameter, ideally. But as far as thicker or thinner I don't think will mess you up any.

on a 4x4, the front and rear wheels have to be the same diameter (width isn't really a problem). 235/75/R15 and 235/70/R15 will not work! You must have the same tire all around. So basically, you wil need EXACTLY what you have on your truck now as a spare. I had 235/75/R15 Michilien LTX M/Ss all around, and I had to get a spare the same too (talk about pricey)! Good luck. Hope that helps!

-Drew

Where do you put the 33" spare? My 275/60/17 spare is 30" tall, and barely fits under the back. I had to cut away some(3/8") of the front of my trailer hitch.
Don

lol i must like this pic tonight :)

20122new_tool_box_010.jpg

Back