Spare Tire Carrier Holder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire Carrier Holder

Has anyone had problems with their spare tire carrier holder breaking. I was driving along when I heard something dragging behind my X. Got out, and found the spare tire hanging down on the ground. Took the tire out and the plastic piece inside the holder had broken. The ones I found on the internet have a spring inside, but mine doesn't. Here is the part # and part F77Z-1A480-AB http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-EX...-SPARE-TIRE-WINCH-F77Z-1A480-AB-/260968863016

Long time Member I See ! , Hopefully Its a Fast and Not Too Hard Repair , Congrats on all the Mileage on Your Sec gen , Most People Give up after 200k miles !!

70 bucks plus $16.22 for shipping?

I'd contact Tousley Ford, they may be able to beat that price and also offer more reasonable shipping charges, even for UPS.

The spring is a good idea though.

I'm a little concerned about when this will happen on my rig, but I'm just planning to roll up a little of the cable on the end and maybe add in a small spring like that, holding it all together with a bolt and locknut, rather than buy a whole new assembly.

If it's the same part that's on a '98 ranger you can have mine for the price of shipping. Let me know.

Unfortunately, the ranger and explorer will not interchange. However, I fixed it by getting a heavy door spring kit from Home Depot then cutting it to size. Worked like a charm. About 5 years ago I replaced the OEM 15 inch tire with the 16x7 tire that came on the sport. Maybe the extra weight of the 16 inch was to much for the winch, who knows.

Back