• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug gap for 05

Rickypa

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 explorer xlt 4.0 vin K
Chilton says 0.61 to 0.68 now isn't that a too big of a gap in the gap?
Where do I gap them to? Where's the best gas millage?
Thanks for the help, Ricky :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate the time for replying but I see plugs there with .054 others with .060 and other with .040! I thought gaps were according to engine and not plugs but I might be wrong! Mine is a 05 4.0 with the K vin. I see that chilton and Haynes separates the 05 v6 and gives it a 0.61 - 0.68! I read that the service DVD from ford also puts the 05 v6 at 61-68 but I haven't confimed that one except I read of sombody calling few dealers and some said 0.54 and others said 0.61-0.68! Is there sombody that has found out what the deal is with these 05 4.0 models?

Should say under your hood

I would assume but nope! It only says refer to owner manual!
Of course I went to the OM and it states that gap is 0.51-0.56
But as I had the Chilton I read it first and doble checked with Haynes and it states the same 0.61-0.68 and then the autoparts tell me that the misfire it has after buying them the EGR valve and the 6 motorcraft plugs which I gapped to 61 were the plug gapping. So after regapping them to 0.54 the misfire was still there and I discovered through the vacuume hoses that the EGR they sold me was stuck open so they gave me another one but I noticed that the gas millage that had improved with the plugs gapped at 0.61 now decreased significantly. so I was wondering if I regap them again to 61 to see if gas millage improves! Because the only other thing I can think of would be that a EGR valve stuck open improves gas millage which it could but not that much because it would be only when the engine is at idle! Does that make sence? Oh btw the owner manual has a printing date of May 2014 which I'm not sure if it has something to do! Where did chilton and Haynes get the info for the 05 specifically, from Ford?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:

When I changed the plugs on our '05 Explorer 4.0 I set the gap at .54 and have had no problems -- gas mileage increased 2.5 MPG so it must have worked!

When I changed the plugs on our '05 Explorer 4.0 I set the gap at .54 and have had no problems -- gas mileage increased 2.5 MPG so it must have worked!

Well that's good but the question is how do you know you're getting the best you can!
What was your gas millage before the new plugs?

Mileage with the old plugs was about 13MPG and is now almost 16MPG with the Autolite Iridium plugs gapped to .54 (also installed new plug wires). If I were to change out the coil pack for a non-stock upgrade I might gain another gallon or two but for now I'm satisfied. An important thing to keep in mind is that all the plugs have to be gapped exactly alike for best results -- the old plugs that I removed were vastly different in gap...some of that may be due to uneven wearing of the electrodes but the difference was visibly noticeable. Heck, these trucks weren't meant to be gas-sippers so I don't expect much more than what I'm getting. As long as the engine & drivetrain are running smoothly I'm happy. :):D

I totally agree with you there! Never the less I know you agree with me that if there is some thing we know increase efficiency we should go for it! You know this is the first explorer I have and bought it a month ago so I'm still learning about them. One funny thing is that when I took it out to check gas millage with the last regap to 0.61 in the highway it started increasing but very slowly and then I touched the reset button after being in a steady speed of 70 for 2 miles and the thing made a sudden jumped from 16.5 to 22.3 so I really don't know how that works but I hope that's my millage. Any thoughts?

Using the message center for average MPG readings is not what Ford recommends for accuracy.
Calculate using the tried and true "old fashioned" method linked below. STILL the most reliable way.

Calculating fuel economy (Pages 285-286)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/05expog3e.pdf

Agreed, I wouldn't rely on the Messaging Display to determine your accurate MPG. As long as you keep an accurate record of when you fill up, how much gas you put in, and how many miles you drive you'll get much more accurate and reliable results.

Back