Spark Plug Selection

aymenz

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney, NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer XLT 2002
Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to the forum but always being an american truck lover.

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT v6 engine, spark plugs are due for replacement now and was wondering if someone can shed some light on some of the best spark plugs available in the market...

I am currently hesitant between the Denso Iridium Power and the NGK Laser Iridium.

What do you reckon is better for this type of engine from experience if possible?

Thank you
Aym

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT v6 engine, spark plugs are due for replacement now and was wondering if someone can shed some light on some of the best spark plugs available in the market...

I am currently hesitant between the Denso Iridium Power and the NGK Laser Iridium.

What do you reckon is better for this type of engine from experience if possible?

Thank you
Aym

From what I've read in here, most people will tell you to stick with Motorcraft or Autolite plugs for these Explorers. I just replaced my plugs last week and went with Autolite Double Platinum #APP103 plugs. BTW, if you want to see past posts on this topic or any topic, just type a specific question into the search box at the top of the forum and it will pull up the related past posts.

Agree, use the tried and time proven OEM Motorcraft or Autolite's. Why change brands if the originals served you well? :scratch:

The OE is single platinum, I did mine and used the autolite double platinum no need to go crazy for iridiums you can get 100k out of the double plats.

Thx guys will then stick with the motorcraft ones.

Just ordered a set of Motorcraft plugs and wires for my 2002 XLT. Figure after 235,000 miles, it deserves another set. Also, with that many miles of trouble free driving, I'm not about to stray from the OEM factory parts.

$65.20 shipped to my door. Thank you Rock Auto !

Thx Dave, however I am not based in the US :), down here in Australia it is a bit difficult sourcing spare parts especially for ford truck, when I was back in the gulf working it was a piece a cake sourcing parts for my Yukon Denali.

Back