• Register Today It's free!

Speaker questions for my 04

Lewshus

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Im sure most of you know that the speakers in my X are all 6x8. I was wondering what would give me the best sound. Should i switch the fronts for 5.25's and keep 6x8's in the rear. Or should I keep them all 6x8's. Or are there other options. I listen to pretty much everything and i mean everything from Rap to rock to classical to jazz to pop, i mean everything. I want my system to pound when it should, but also be very clean and clear. I will be running the speakers off my headunit for now, but will be adding an amp. I have a couple subs goin in later on also.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I don't think speaker size changes your sound so much as quality of the speaker. Instead of changing sizes look into a better brand like pioneer or kicker, and that amp would definitely help.

Wouldnt a 5.25 provide less bass than a 6x8?

I suppose, but if you want less bass then you can just turn it down in the head unit.... and why would you want less bass if you are thinking of adding subs?
If you want more clarity then get a pair of tweeters, they usually go for as cheap as 10-20$ a pair

if you dont BLAST your music with crazy loud subs, theres a set of roadmaster tweeters, at meijers and murrays, for 19$ they sound so good, crisp and clear...better than the rockford fosgate pair i paid like 70$ for

you dont want bass with your door speakers, you only want bass from the subs.

This is exactly my current problem... lol I guess its personal preference, but it annoys the hell outta me that I get no bass outta my doors(no amp), its all in the subs... Because of this im missing a section of the spectrum between 150-400hz(approx).

i

Thats what i was thinking. Thats why i was thinking of going with 5.25's in the doors. Does anyone else have a setup like that?

I'm in the process of putting component 6.5's in mine right now. Hopefully I'll get it done today. I'll let you know how it works out.

Very cool. What kind of mounting bracket are you using?

Your Speakers

if your front and rear speakers are 6x8 get infinity speakers they are like the best ive ever heard they are better than pioneer or rockford or really anything

This is exactly my current problem... lol I guess its personal preference, but it annoys the hell outta me that I get no bass outta my doors(no amp), its all in the subs... Because of this im missing a section of the spectrum between 150-400hz(approx).

Just if you don't have midbass and this almost impossible cause all coaxial and components have midbass speakers.

Your door speakers aren't capable of producing bass, if bass frequencies go to those speakers at high volume they'll be damage in short term.

Im sure most of you know that the speakers in my X are all 6x8. I was wondering what would give me the best sound. Should i switch the fronts for 5.25's and keep 6x8's in the rear. Or should I keep them all 6x8's. Or are there other options. I listen to pretty much everything and i mean everything from Rap to rock to classical to jazz to pop, i mean everything. I want my system to pound when it should, but also be very clean and clear. I will be running the speakers off my headunit for now, but will be adding an amp. I have a couple subs goin in later on also.

Thanks in advance.

Yes they will, 6x8 have better midbass but 5.25 and 6.25 have better response.

Try getting some nice components for your from door and amp then, 6.5" is fine just make a wood adapter and seal it, and that's it.

Wouldnt a 5.25 provide less bass than a 6x8?

Not bass, midbass, and yes.

if your front and rear speakers are 6x8 get infinity speakers they are like the best ive ever heard they are better than pioneer or rockford or really anything

Not to argue but infinity are far from that greatness, all infinity speakers ive heard from coax to comps have harsh tweet, but they better than rockford and most of the pioneer, but they can't beat pioneer revs.

Highly recommend these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065SL80/Boston-Acoustics-SL80.html?search=SL80&tp=93

I have 2 sets in my '04 XLT and really love them... You'll need to have a sub to pair with them..... I know they say 5x7 but you can see they have variable mounting holes which fit 6x8

before you buy from crutchfield you might wanna go check around
crutchfield price 299$
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065SL80/Boston-Acoustics-SL80.html?search=SL80&tp=93

amazon.com price 179$
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-Coaxial-Plate-Speakers/dp/B0009JIH9I

sonic electronix price 159$
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2792_Boston+Acoustics+SL80.html

just a heads up

so 5.25 or 6.25 with tweets in the front, and 6x8's in the rear would give the best sound. That way i could get highs in the front and mid in the rears. With my subs filling in the lows.

you can't hear the rear speakers anyways...focus on the front speakers.

I can hear my rear speakers. They fill in the back and give a richer sound. If I fade all the music to the front there is definitely a difference.

If you have a good front stage with a lot of sound treatment the rear speakers are useless. In my explorer I could barely hear a difference between having rear speakers and not having rear speakers.

I doubt you have much sound dampening or door treatment though so the difference is larger. Also I had an amp for the speakers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a quick question regarding my 04 explorer and changing the speaker. I am trying to remove that plastic piece where the speaker is...does this piece of the door moulding come out where the speaker is or does the whole door panel have to come off? I just want to change my speaker and I am doing it now, but I am trying to tug on the plastic piece but ZI dont want to break it. Thank you

Back