• Register Today It's free!

fit 6x9 in '04 xlt

rjdunn84

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC/Arlington, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I have an '04 explorer xlt. It's my understanding that it has 4 6x8's in it. At Best Buy, they told me they thought that I'd be able to fit 6x9's in there. Has anybody tried this? Any luck? Was there a trick to it?

Are there any other speaker sizes that fit in there?

Also, anyone with speaker choice advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol thats best buy for you.

6x9s CAN fit with some customization

probably more hassle than worth while?

what are you trying to achieve with 6x9s??

I tried to put 6x9's in my 96, (also had the 6x8's)

The 6x9's are a lot bigger than you would think compared to stock. The only way I would have been able to make them fit flush would be with a fair amount of cutting. I gave up. I would suggest just going with 6x8's and save yourself a fair amount of trouble.

Or, ditch the ovals and get yourself a nice component set. You can find a 6 1/2 inch woofer and tweeter mounted on a 6x8 plate.

They sound sweet. and you can find them cheap, because they usually don't sell very well. they are always on sale at best buy.

get some 1/4" mdf, trace the factory speaker on it and cut that out. then get whatever round speaker you want and cut out a mounting hole in the mdf. mount the speaker to the mdf and the mdf to the factory mounting hole. done.

Or, ditch the ovals and get yourself a nice component set. You can find a 6 1/2 inch woofer and tweeter mounted on a 6x8 plate.

Do the 6 1/2 have a better sound than 6x8's?

"pop them in" sounds like it means simpling screwing them to the door...it is much mor than this. I considered installed 6x9s in the front doors of my truck. I was going to make custom baffles for them. After heavily dampening the front doors and adding a 2 channel amp my 6x8s scream now. I can still hear my music over my loud bass

Back