Specific questions about battery replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Specific questions about battery replacement

Blackout2017

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vegas, baby!
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Sport Shadow 401A
Since a previous conversation is now branching in a different direction...

My 2017 Sport originally came with a stock bxt-65-650 battery. I just picked up my Ex two weeks ago, and the current battery is a 65-850. Were I to replace it (it's running at 83%, and where I live, due to the heat vehicle batteries are replaced more often than usual), I have two questions.

First, does is matter going from stock 650 CCA to 850 CCA? Everything I read basically says there's no such thing as "too much battery." Your vehicle draws what it needs.

Second, if two batteries are identical in every other way, does cranking amps (not cold cranking amps) matter very much? I'm looking at two batteries, same brand, same size, same price, same CCA, but one has 1,000 CA and the other has 1,045 CA. Not very much of a difference, so it seems odd that a manufacturer would make two batteries so similar in specs unless there was a specific application for each. And going back to "Your vehicle draws what it needs," is it likely there's a vehicle that needs just that extra 45 cranking amps over an otherwise identical battery?

A bigger battery should be able to handle more loads, and last longer when taxed more, start easier in hot or cold weather etc.

If two batteries are similar, pick the better brand or from the better company etc. Avoid the lesser brands or unknowns, same for the seller.

I live in northern MI we see -10 or less at times . Not sure if its a big deal to you or not but I’ve had great luck with duracell brand car batteries. Also I see you’re in Vega…

Back