• Register Today It's free!

spindle nuts for manual hubs?

fido

Reaction score
City, State
southern oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
`93 sport
I have the auto hubs and want to put the warn manual hubs on anyone know where i can get the nuts and washers for this, the warn kit is like $60+shipping that seems like a lot for 2 washers and 4 nuts thankx chris q.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i went to shucks and just bought some. that looked close to what was the right ones.(the ones that came with the hubs were cracked).

Try a search, I remember someone selling the kit a little while ago.

Carquest has them in stock at most stores.

Ask for dana 44 spindle nuts, inner and outer, along with newlock washers.
Some hub kits come with them

You can also go pull them from the junkyard, any D44 or D35 ttb uses these suckers.
New is better however because they do wear out (the lock ring washers and the pin)

All Dana axles use the same ones.

Dana 28
Dana 35
Dana 44
HD Dana 44

Not sure about the 60's but the above will work. Get the inner nut washer and outer nut. Make sure the inner nut has the pin.

You sure the D28 spindle nuts are the same??

I had the same problem fido had with the warn hubs. now I'll just go to Carquest instead of buying Warns spindle nut kit.

FireZapper said:
yep even the dana 44 ttb ones too

Not all of them. I have a clicking locking design that came off a TTB dana 44 that wont fit inside a dana 35 hub.

Rookieshooter, you scared me there for a minute. You see Warn used to make a spindle nut kit for us that had a threaded lock ring washer with set screws in it. They have not sold them for years, but that sucker fixed the wheel bearing issues associated with the nuts working loose (superior over the pin and hole locking style). I was gonna say if you can still buy that set, get me one too! My friend Brett picked one up off a Ranger he parted out (lucky)
I have plans to copy the design, but so far I have had great luck with just welding a tiny bit of material to the lock ring washer. Where the tab fits into the spindle, its a loose fit with rounded edges. If you add a bit of metal and then file it down to be a snug fit, they wont work loose, so far even with 35's I have not had them any looser then what I torqued them to the next time I check.

Brett hasnt had to do his wheel bearings since he got that old Warn kit, and he wont sell it to me

I'll check it out Jamie and see if they still have the boxes. They had them behind the counter.

yeah, if you do have this style please get me one too, the pin and washer style hasn't done me wrong yet but i can do with out a first with this issue, so if you can find the set screw style lock ring, please keep me in mind for a set. ;)

thank you for your help guy`s

FireZapper said:
Hmm guess I need to check my sources because they say it should work.

Ill try to get a picture of the ones I am talking about this weekend and post up. They came off of an 89 TTB f150. I showed them to my uncle who was a brake man for 30 years and he said he had seen them on numerous ford trucks. When I first saw them I instantly thought of it as the perfect solution for the nut backing off on rangers but as soon as I tried fitting the hub over it, they wouldnt fit.

Thank you that is a good deal, what do the pins on the inner nuts do is it to lock to the washer?

fido said:
Thank you that is a good deal, what do the pins on the inner nuts do is it to lock to the washer?

Yes you torque the inner wheel bearing down as recomended then you put the washer on. It slides onto the spindle down the grove then you make sure the pin sticking out goes into one of the holes in the washer. then you put the oter nut on and torque it down.

What baically it does is the pin locks the inner nut to the washer so they move as a unit. with the washer groved into the spinder the ideas is that it cant back off and lossen. The outer nut keeps the washer and inner nut tight together so they dont come loose. Then the washer and cllip on the end of the axle make sure that the wheel wont come off if you wheel bearing nuts become super loose.

FireZapper said:
Hmm guess I need to check my sources because they say it should work.

the top two are the ones I pulled off an 89 f150. I am not sure if they are an aftermarket locking nut deal or if they were factory. The bottom two is the standard washer and outer nut to give you an idea of the size. A standard hub socket will take them on and off.

Attachments

• picture12.jpg
    picture12.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 368

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back