• Register Today It's free!

Sport features

Armanijr

Reaction score
City, State
Ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 sport
I am looking to purchase a 2014 explorer sport and cannot tell whether or not it comes with heated seats in the second row or even if it is an option. If I order the car would this be an option?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not an option for the SPORT, Limited only has heated 2nd row bucket seats.

Its new for 2014

Not an option for the SPORT, Limited only has heated 2nd row bucket seats.

Its new for 2014

The bench seat also has outer seats heated in the Limited.

Yeah I thought that sucked not being an option. My F150 has rear heated seats....

I agree I thought it was weak too, the Taurus has had 2nd row heated for a few years now so obviously its not an issue for the seat supplier.

There are a number of options that you cannot get on the the Sport vs the Limited: HID headlights, power folding side mirrors, heated rear seats, more choices of exterior and interior colors. I don't know what Ford is thinking. You would think that Ford could make more profit if these options were available on the Sport. I guess that's why the auto manufactures are sometimes one step away from going bankrupt. I question the business smarts of their genius executives.

I asked that very question to some of the key marketing people. Their response was simply adding all options to the SPORT would put the vehicle into an MSRP range that wasn't realistic.

I agree to some extent but I would say adding a few things like HIDs, Rain sense wipers, Lane Keep, Heated Steering Wheel wouldn't add that much. Maybe another $1000

more choices of exterior and interior colors.

This is what drives me nuts. If the Sport had matching painted mirror caps or some other painted part that would require Ford to stock more parts if they offered more colors, I'd understand limiting the colors. But since the only differences are some chrome parts are gloss black, why not offer the Sport in ANY of the colors that the Explorer comes in?!?

There are a number of options that you cannot get on the the Sport vs the Limited: HID headlights, power folding side mirrors, heated rear seats, more choices of exterior and interior colors. I don't know what Ford is thinking. You would think that Ford could make more profit if these options were available on the Sport. I guess that's why the auto manufactures are sometimes one step away from going bankrupt. I question the business smarts of their genius executives.

You can get the power folding mirrors. My Sport has them..

You can get the power folding mirrors. My Sport has them..

That's confusing, too - when I do the "Build Your Own" on the Ford website, it clearly states that package 401A on the Sport includes "PowerFold Mirrors."

But my window sticker for my yet-to-be-delivered Sport says this:
"Mirrors - Man Fold Dual PWR Heated with Approach Lamp".

Really curious what will actually be on my vehicle - I'm assuming manual fold mirrors.

My new Sport also says manual fold mirrors in the standard features list on the window sticker, but I think the power fold is included but not listed in the 401A equipment group. I definitely have them and use them everyday because I have a narrow single garage door. I just did a comparison between the contents of 401A in the "build" page and the window sticker. Also not listed are the front seat cooling and 10way passenger seat. I have those on my vehicle, so don't worry.

I'm guessing that Ford would likely make more money by including some options in a package that you can only get by buying a certain model. I'm quite sure they know what they are doing, especially if affects 'the bottom line'.

Peter

I'm guessing that Ford would likely make more money by including some options in a package that you can only get by buying a certain model. I'm quite sure they know what they are doing, especially if affects 'the bottom line'.

Peter

Chrysler bankrupt 3 times, GM bankrupt twice, Saab out of business, Isuzu under, Mazda hanging by a thread ,Mercury gone, Lincoln next, Suzuki see you later, an astronomical number of TSBs and recalls throughout the industry.

Yeah..."I'm quite sure they know what they are doing"

Chrysler bankrupt 3 times, GM bankrupt twice, Saab out of business, Isuzu under, Mazda hanging by a thread ,Mercury gone, Lincoln next, Suzuki see you later, an astronomical number of TSBs and recalls throughout the industry.

Chrysler is looking to invest $2.3 billion in Windsor, Ontario but is looking for a reported $700 million contribution from the Federal and Provincial governments.
Manufacturers have always restructured and dropped brands. That is nothing new and it isn't only applicable to the auto industry. Many rise and fall with the economy. If people aren't spending, very few retailers make money.

Peter

I doubt Lincoln is going anywhere.

This is what drives me nuts. If the Sport had matching painted mirror caps or some other painted part that would require Ford to stock more parts if they offered more colors, I'd understand limiting the colors. But since the only differences are some chrome parts are gloss black, why not offer the Sport in ANY of the colors that the Explorer comes in?!?

I asked that very question about colors too. It's strictly a marketing thing to create "exclusivity" for the SPORT model line up.

They don't want the SPORT in every color.

I asked that very question about colors too. It's strictly a marketing thing to create "exclusivity" for the SPORT model line up.

I like the exclusivity factor, it outweighs those "missing" options in the sport model compared to the limited. As I have discovered, sport models are not easy to come by here in Ca. We just ordered (on 2/12) a sport in ruby red (have only seen a white and black in town) for the wife. We are giving back her 2013 Edge Sport, which she loves. I wanted the second row bucket seats with the pass through (hard to find as well) and she wanted the door handles color matched to the OEM paint, so special order it was. I requested different tires, anybody have anything other than the Hankook optimos? I prefer Pirelli in this case.

Joseph

I would agree with that thinking on Ford's part, *if* the Sport had some exclusive colors. But it doesn't - so what's exclusive about it? The things that make it stand out (black grille, Sport wheels, darkened head/taillamps) still make it exclusive in any current Explorer color.

Personally I think it's more about limiting what dealers need to stock.

I like the exclusivity factor, it outweighs those "missing" options in the sport model compared to the limited. As I have discovered, sport models are not easy to come by here in Ca. We just ordered (on 2/12) a sport in ruby red (have only seen a white and black in town) for the wife. We are giving back her 2013 Edge Sport, which she loves. I wanted the second row bucket seats with the pass through (hard to find as well) and she wanted the door handles color matched to the OEM paint, so special order it was. I requested different tires, anybody have anything other than the Hankook optimos? I prefer Pirelli in this case.

Joseph
I put on the 255/50R20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires 2 hours after I picked mine up from the dealer. Slightly more aggressive tread. In Winter I run 245/65R17 BFG Winter Slalom tires. Dealer would not 'swap' the Hankook tires so after several calls to tire shops I finally found one that would give me something ($80 ea.) for them on the Yokos.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joseph

There was an optional order code for summer "Z" rated Continentals at one time but not sure if that still exists.

UPDATE: I just checked with CAP and yes its still an option

Continental 265/45ZR20

Back