Sport features | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport features

I would agree with that thinking on Ford's part, *if* the Sport had some exclusive colors. But it doesn't - so what's exclusive about it? The things that make it stand out (black grille, Sport wheels, darkened head/taillamps) still make it exclusive in any current Explorer color.

Personally I think it's more about limiting what dealers need to stock.

Correct....not havind HIDs, heated rear seats, additional available colors make it exclusive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would agree with that thinking on Ford's part, *if* the Sport had some exclusive colors. But it doesn't - so what's exclusive about it? The things that make it stand out (black grille, Sport wheels, darkened head/taillamps) still make it exclusive in any current Explorer color.

Personally I think it's more about limiting what dealers need to stock.
The 3.5L Ecoboost engine.

Peter

The 3.5L Ecoboost engine.

Peter

Well of course - but what I've been talking about are the available colors and what exterior things make it unique (and that limiting it to 4 colors that any XLT/Limited can have doesn't count as "exclusivity" for the Sport).

Well of course - but what I've been talking about are the available colors and what exterior things make it unique (and that limiting it to 4 colors that any XLT/Limited can have doesn't count as "exclusivity" for the Sport).
I agree on the colours issue. I don't understand why there is the limitation that there is. I do think that the black grille, smoked lenses and 'exclusive' Sport wheels do make it stand out from the rest.

Peter

I put on the 255/50R20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires 2 hours after I picked mine up from the dealer. Slightly more aggressive tread. In Winter I run 245/65R17 BFG Winter Slalom tires. Dealer would not 'swap' the Hankook tires so after several calls to tire shops I finally found one that would give me something ($80 ea.) for them on the Yokos.

Peter
That's a novel idea, but I don't think I will get rid of the Hankooks if they happen to be on when delivered. They are just not my preferred tire brand. I will rarely hit the snow, and/or have "wintry" weather where I reside, and that seems to be the biggest knock on the Hankooks used on the sport. We test drove a sport with the Hankooks and it felt fine, albeit it pristine road conditions. Thanks for the advice.

There was an optional order code for summer "Z" rated Continentals at one time but not sure if that still exists.

UPDATE: I just checked with CAP and yes its still an option

Continental 265/45ZR20
I did see that when building the ride, however I do not want to deal with the additional cost associated with "summer" tires, especially on an AWD. Now if the rims were 22's like the Edge sport, my answer would be different. We had to replace a tire on the Edge, cost $300+, and I knew that was a possibility going in. The Edge had Pirelli Scorpions on it, which I really liked, so I requested a Pirelli tire over the Hankook.

That's a novel idea, but I don't think I will get rid of the Hankooks if they happen to be on when delivered. They are just not my preferred tire brand. I will rarely hit the snow, and/or have "wintry" weather where I reside, and that seems to be the biggest knock on the Hankooks used on the sport. We test drove a sport with the Hankooks and it felt fine, albeit it pristine road conditions. Thanks for the advice.

I have some cars that ride like skateboards (mostly the track cars) and that's the last thing I wanted in my ExSport which is my client/kid mover. I found the ride to be too harsh for my tastes because of the 50 series sidewall. The sidewall of your tire is like a 'spring' it flexes over bumps and irregularities to smooth out the ride, the stock Hankooks have a 5" sidewall. I ordered some forged (lighter unsprung weight smoothes the ride too) TSW rims in 19" in 9.5" width, an inch shorter than stock but also and inch wider. I had some Michelin 275/55/19 tires on there which have a calculated 6" sidewall, an extra inch of 'spring' :) It rides like it is floating now and as side benefit I can hop up and over curbs with no issue;) I'd be willing to bet that I have the smoothest riding Explorer Sport around:salute: I expect when I add the adjustable ride height Megan Racing coil over suspension, it will ride even better AND reduce that rear end 'pogo effect' during high speed bumpy corners. Yes, I hustle my Explorer around corners regularly;)

I have some cars that ride like skateboards (mostly the track cars) and that's the last thing I wanted in my ExSport which is my client/kid mover. I found the ride to be too harsh for my tastes because of the 50 series sidewall. The sidewall of your tire is like a 'spring' it flexes over bumps and irregularities to smooth out the ride, the stock Hankooks have a 5" sidewall. I ordered some forged (lighter unsprung weight smoothes the ride too) TSW rims in 19" in 9.5" width, an inch shorter than stock but also and inch wider. I had some Michelin 275/55/19 tires on there which have a calculated 6" sidewall, an extra inch of 'spring' :) It rides like it is floating now and as side benefit I can hop up and over curbs with no issue;) I'd be willing to bet that I have the smoothest riding Explorer Sport around:salute: I expect when I add the adjustable ride height Megan Racing coil over suspension, it will ride even better AND reduce that rear end 'pogo effect' during high speed bumpy corners. Yes, I hustle my Explorer around corners regularly;)
Sounds like your vision is coming together. I would be much more into customization if it was my daily driver, but since it is my wife's, I am not gonna push much on her. Although she did request that her door handles on her Ex sport be color matched. She always uses my car against me since I spent an additional $6K modding it after purchase. It is interesting that Megan makes a coil over set. Does it just go lower? Or up and down? I would think lowering an AWD defeats the purpose...but living in Ca maybe not as much. Forged rims sound nice, adding to the performance nicely! I cannot wait to open up the TT EcoBoost and whip it around like it's a car. I felt during the test drive of the sport it was more responsive and "tight" when maneuvering than our Edge sport. Not surprising however.

Back