• Register Today It's free!

Stalling problem fixed

Russ Axtell

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I've used the blog to try and fix my 2003 Explorer 4.6L stalling problem. I finally was able to fix the problem. Symptoms were same as many I had read about - ran fine cold, would stall when slowing down when warmed up - normally stalled when slow enough to turn a corner - would stall in the turn losing power steering and brakes - very awkward and dangerous when the wife had grandchildren in the vehicle. Blog seemed to indicate problem was the Idle Control Valve. I bought an after-market valve - result - idled very fast - 1100 RPM or above and wouldn't decelerate - release the gas pedel at 45 MPH and continue at 45 MPH. When I would shift into neutral at 45 MPH or so, RPM would sometimes actually increase. I concluded ICV was bad so traded it in for another (same brand). Truck ran worse. Still would not decelerate and it now would surge at idle. I finally bought a Motorcraft ICV - result - truck instantly ran perfectly. The after market valves were configured differently than the Motorcraft part - they had a spring around a shaft in the lower champer. The Motorcraft part does not have the shaft or spring in the lower chamber. The Motorcraft part was about 50% more expensive - but obviously easily worth the money.

I've used the blog to try and fix my 2003 Explorer 4.6L stalling problem. I finally was able to fix the problem. Symptoms were same as many I had read about - ran fine cold, would stall when slowing down when warmed up - normally stalled when slow enough to turn a corner - would stall in the turn losing power steering and brakes - very awkward and dangerous when the wife had grandchildren in the vehicle. Blog seemed to indicate problem was the Idle Control Valve. I bought an after-market valve - result - idled very fast - 1100 RPM or above and wouldn't decelerate - release the gas pedel at 45 MPH and continue at 45 MPH. When I would shift into neutral at 45 MPH or so, RPM would sometimes actually increase. I concluded ICV was bad so traded it in for another (same brand). Truck ran worse. Still would not decelerate and it now would surge at idle. I finally bought a Motorcraft ICV - result - truck instantly ran perfectly. The after market valves were configured differently than the Motorcraft part - they had a spring around a shaft in the lower champer. The Motorcraft part does not have the shaft or spring in the lower chamber. The Motorcraft part was about 50% more expensive - but obviously easily worth the money.
This information was very helpful in saving me time and effort in correcting the idle problem with my 2003 Exp 4.6. I was going to just order the part from Autozone until I read this thread and decide to spend the extra money and get the Motorcraft part. Glad I did. Ordered online and picked up at the local Ford dealer the next day, installed in 15 minutes, car runs great. Thanks Russ!

Back