• Register Today It's free!

Steering binding after body lift.

stsmoker

Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLS
Got everything back together and now the steering is extremely tight now. used the steering extension the kit came with. is this a normal thing or should i address this new issue? One other issue is when the wheel is straightening out from turning left, it pops. Almost like theres something loose. when the steering shaft was disconnected my little nephew spun the steering wheel around and around while it was loose. should i just disconnect the steering shaft and try to center the steering wheel to get rid of the pop? any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I can tell ya when the lil guy spun your wheel around he may have wrapped your airbag sensor wire in there making it tight to turn. Also the popping sound is the extension, this happened when I did mine. Makinos told me to fill the inside of the extension piece with JB weld then reinstall the upper shaft back into it. Let it dry 24 hours and your good to go. Mine has no pop sound anymore and over 2000 miles on it since. What it has is slop so when you spin your wheel around it moves, grab the shaft and pull up and push down on it you will see what I mean and why Jb weld cures this issue.

That definitely may be whats causing it. I was going to test some of my theories today but ended up going to town n all that fun stuff so didnt get to tinker with it at all :/ but tomorrow mornin sounds like a good time to me, before the heat rolls in. Thanks for the help man!!!

Not a problem, good luck.

Finally got around to tearing some of the steering components down. The tightness seemed to be caused by the new angle my steering shaft is at. Took off the extension, filed it down a little more and put the bolt back on but did not tighten it up all the way. Helped a LOT! the popping/clicking was from a broken clockspring :( , figured this out when my horn stopped working, and the airbag light flashed a 19 code (disconnect from the airbag module to the drivers side airbag) anyone know how much this costs to replace?

Finally got around to tearing some of the steering components down. The tightness seemed to be caused by the new angle my steering shaft is at. Took off the extension, filed it down a little more and put the bolt back on but did not tighten it up all the way. Helped a LOT!

Which I believe is what I suggested for you to do in your last post about this. It's a common issue that people have with these body lifts...not filing down the extension enough, and overtightening the bolt. Glad you got it worked out.

Yeah thanks man! Helped tremendously! i was just afraid that i was tearing something up to in the process of it being so tight. Still pretty tight, but i dont have the binding sensation anymore.

Back