steering dampner? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

steering dampner?

stevefed

Reaction score
tried a 1.5 inch hubcentric wheel adapter (spacer) on all 4 corners, and got a terrible steering "shimmy" where the steering wheel bounces crazy from left to right (side to side) only at about 65-70mph. everything is in balance, the spacer shop said some trucks don't like the width. I am running 265's, that with the spacer is a bad combo for me.
is there a steering dampner we can use? or any other solution?> I like the look and no rub with the adapters installed, but travel hiway a lot and can't have the shakes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i didn't have an issue at all with my 1.5 inch spacers. i even have them on with the 35s

You have changed the scrub radius and moved the pivot point outside of the tires footprint area which causes harder steering, wheel shimmy and a tendancy to wander. Scrub radius is the distance between where the steering axis inclination intersects the ground and the center of the tire.
scrub.gif

i'm not questioning you heavymentill but i'm just wondering why it doesn't happen to other explorers also? i know a bunch of people on here are running the 1.5-2 inch spacers including me. could it just be the explorer? even with my 35s with the spacers i can run all the way up to 80-90mph without any issues

i'm not questioning you heavymentill but i'm just wondering why it doesn't happen to other explorers also? i know a bunch of people on here are running the 1.5-2 inch spacers including me. could it just be the explorer? even with my 35s with the spacers i can run all the way up to 80-90mph without any issues

Agreed - the scrub radius may have changed, but is 38mm for a 1.5' spacer really changing it that much? Especially if you then fit 265s (as opposed to factory 235 or 245s) - you'll get some of that 38mm back.

I am running 1.5" spacers with no shimmying at legal speeds (up to about 140km/h - a bit over legal when overtaking). Haven't pushed it past that as I like my license too much.

There are many factor you have to take in account. Height of tires, width of tires, camber angles, with of spacer, back spacing on the rim. I didn't make this up, I just understand it. I suspect some people judge with blinders on when they have spent a lot of money on something. The people who originally design suspensions don't take into account what people are going to do differently to them.

i agree with you. i think you know more about suspension then i do just when i don't know something i like to ask and learn more.

thanks for the posts so far, and I fully understand the implications of changing suspension from the factory specs. BUT, like others have said, why do 90% have no issues, and some experience the shimmies? the shop I got them at told me a similar story, some trucks shake, others don't. they offered to replace mine with 1.25", after restock/postage of course, but I cant see how a quarter inch is going to change much at all...(and drop $50 just to see)
and in missouri the speed limit is 70mph on interstates, most do 75-80, so to keep up I can't have the wobbles at any speed. i was goign to try to pinpoint the issue, whether it be rear only, one side or the other, but have not had time.

I have some roadbullys to install, too, but want to solve my issues before potentially adding more.

my question remains, though, if one of those steering dampners/shocks will work on my Ex like those real lifted trucks and jeeps have.

Steering stabilizers are only avaliable for steering box with parallelogram linkage not rack and pinion.

Back