Steering noise

erixon

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Hey guys,

I have been kind of putting off the repairs on my Explorer for a while because I've been driving my summer car, but this stuff should get done soon. I started today by replacing the power steering pump. It was crazy loud, it needed to be done. I knew before hand that there was something else wrong with it though. When not moving, i move the wheel back and forth, everything seems to be fine, but when I am moving, and I really crank the wheel, I get some light tension, almost like I am in 4WD or something, but it's in auto... and it makes the same noise almost as if you were low on power steering fluid or something (no, it's not the power steering, lol), any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The PS reservoir has a fine mesh screen in the bottom. It can easily get gunked up from dirty PS fluid. I would suggest you drain and remove the reservoir, clean it out thoroughly with solvent, and I bet you'll have a quieter system. It probably sounds as if it's low on PS fluid because it's being starved for fluid by that clogged screen. Certainly worth a look and it's a cheap and easy chore.

AM.

The PS reservoir has a fine mesh screen in the bottom. It can easily get gunked up from dirty PS fluid. I would suggest you drain and remove the reservoir, clean it out thoroughly with solvent, and I bet you'll have a quieter system. It probably sounds as if it's low on PS fluid because it's being starved for fluid by that clogged screen. Certainly worth a look and it's a cheap and easy chore.

AM.

I have an OHV motor, so the res. is actually attached to the PS pump, so its brand new.

I had someone look at it today, they said they were almost positive its the wheel bearing... question, do all these trucks have abs? just wondering for buying wheel hub assembly.

I'm really getting mixed diagnosed with this, took it to a few different people, one says he is almost positive its a wheel bearing, it makes the noise when you are turning hard, the rubbing/whining noise, almost like it's once a revolution. It doesn't make the same noise when you go straight, or just crank the wheel when parked, the truck has to be moving. It was on the hoist in gear, and it didnt make any noise while turned, or at least not the same amount. Another guy says it couldnt be the bearing becaue it would make the noise all the time, even when straight, can anyone else comment on this?

all i can come up with is... its a ford brother lol we all got loud pumps (compared to everything else)... other than that i couldnt tell ya... sorry im no help

It's not the pump though....lol... pump is brand new, is quiet.

I'll see if I can get a video and post it up on youtube for all to see.

Back