Steering wheel vibration when turning only!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel vibration when turning only!?

maxxus

Reaction score
anyone here experience a steering wheel vibration when turning the vehicle only? it's an intermittent vibration as I turn the steeriing wheel. The truck has new ball joints as well as a recent torsion twist mod. I first experienced this after redoing the front brakes....but brakes don't cause this. Could this be an alignment issue do to TT? the odd thing is the TT was done 2 weeks ago.....never had this prob till I redid the front brakes&rotors. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if thats whats causing your problem, but, you definately need an alignment after the TT.

Good luck.....

I did my lift and ended up with some negative camber. This made the tires howl even more because of the increased pressure to the inside of the tire, also causing uneven tire wear.

I put 33's on and it's even louder now.

Found THE reason!

guess what? I found out from a friend that the chatter through the steering has something to do with air in the steering system.......and i was told to drive it and wait a day.....sure enough/ the chatter is gone. Now, i have to know where the air buildup occured, as it had nothing to do with brake lines, as those were not broken into. was a simple brake job....turn rotors, old pads out, new one's in.....no need to bleed. So the air buildup is in the steering system due to movement of the front end parts while working on the vehicle. So far,i have spoken to 3 garages and they all knew about it. Oh well!

Sorry i know this thread is 1mil old but...

having the same issue what he said that he changed some stuff thats not my problem i didnt do anything got in it saturday got on the entrance ramp to the freeway that had some curves in it and started shacking hard any clue?

Changing brakes should not have done anything to your power steering system, but it does sound like air in the power steering system or cavitation.

Back