Still fighting with new head unit. FAst answers needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still fighting with new head unit. FAst answers needed.

mcholst

Reaction score
City, State
Berkeley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Have been fighting all day with my new aftermarket HU, and isn't half finished yet.

I have the Premium system with an amp (somewhere I can't find).
Which setup should I go for:
1) Speaker cables connected via wire harness to the amp + some power to the amp. => double power and horrible sound quality.
2) Bypassing the amp. => don't know where to find the amp? Have been inside the rear passengers door without luck. Do I really have to take out the whole panel in the right side of back of the car, to find it?
3) Using the 4 RCA plugs on the back of my new HU. => Use the amp in stead of the HU's built-in amp. Can I get a harness, for connecting the RCA plugs to the existing wires?

I a real newbee in this area, therefore I think 1) would be the easier choice, but still the worst. And I might prefer 3), if it is possible and I don't need to by different converters and stuff.

What would you do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a JBL system? do you have a sub woofer in the right rear of the car?

No subwoofer, and not the JBL system.

I've got a cassette player in the front and some rear seat controls and an amp, somwhere where I haven't found it yet

The amp is located behind the right rear trim panel in the cargo area. You must remove the entire panel assy to get to it. It will be just forward of where the subwoofer would be.

I would do 2. Run 4 speaker wires down to the Pass kick panel, Black plug close to you when looking at it. There's a gray plug right behind it with the last speaker in it also. The wires will be twisted together as a pair. Each twisted wire is a speaker.

Back